TYZ250 gear oil change

Tingting

Apologies in advance for my novice question. Could someone possibly assist with regards to correct procedure for changing the gear oil on a 95 TYZ250.There is reference to 700cc capacity on the casing but i am struggling to get much more than 250cc in before it begins to flow from ithe oil  level port? I appreciate 700cc will be from factory 'empty' but I have drained oil from sump and/or plug on left casing and failed to remove more than 300cc despite warming, tilting etc. any advice much appreciated. 

Regards

Leave the oil level screw in place while you are adding oil and put the whole 700 ml in.

The reason for this is that you are adding oil to the clutch section of the transmission and it takes a while for the oil to flow from the clutch section to the gearbox section. So the oil level in the clutch section will be higher than normal until the oil levels have equalised in both sections.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tingting said:

Thanks for the reply feetupfun, appreciated. Presumably this is why there is a second drain plug for the clutch section? 

I have not noticed any drain plugs in the clutch section. From what I've seen, the clutch compartment has the filler hole and the level screw hole.

Maybe share a photo of the drain plug you are seeing

1 hour ago, feetupfun said:

I have not noticed any drain plugs in the clutch section. From what I've seen, the clutch compartment has the filler hole and the level screw hole.

Maybe share a photo of the drain plug you are seeing

Left hand casing sorry. Hope this makes sense? 

303F855C-5E71-4340-9E44-484323DCDC96.jpeg

I don't remember having that drain plug on my 1993 TY250Z.

I just looked up some parts fisches for later TY250Z models and from those it looks like that plug was a change that was introduced after the first model TY250Z.

Both drain plugs are in the gearbox section.

Two possible reasons for that second drain.

1 It could be for where a switch is fitted to some other Yamaha model that shares the same engine casing and has a neutral indicator (perhaps TY250Z Scottish).

2 It could be so you can drain the oil without removing the bashplate.

Thanks feetupfun. I didn’t know whether it was a way of ensuring maximum drainage if there are two sections as you mentioned. I appreciate you can never drain completely without stripping but would re-filling with the stated 700cc cause any potential issues if the unit was not completely empty? Thanks for your patience with my novice questions. 

6 hours ago, Tingting said:

Thanks feetupfun. I didn’t know whether it was a way of ensuring maximum drainage if there are two sections as you mentioned. I appreciate you can never drain completely without stripping but would re-filling with the stated 700cc cause any potential issues if the unit was not completely empty? Thanks for your patience with my novice questions. 

No, the level is not critical. Just drain it as well as you can through the drain plug hole, add 700 ml and you will be doing what Yamaha intended.

If you want to check that there is not too much oil in there, park the bike level front/rear and vertical side/side, leave it for at least 24 hours like that and then take out the level screw and see if oil comes out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, feetupfun said:

No, the level is not critical. Just drain it as well as you can through the drain plug hole, add 700 ml and you will be doing what Yamaha intended.

If you want to check that there is not too much oil in there, park the bike level front/rear and vertical side/side, leave it for at least 24 hours like that and then take out the level screw and see if oil comes out.

Right oh. 700cc are in now. Watch this space!!. Thanks for your help.