SHERCO/bultaco 1999 Jarvis rep

xdavejx

I have one in blue (the red ones are rarer), it's a really good bike, they changed hardly anything from the very first public version through to 2006 or so.  The "Graham Jarvis" is only a special sticker set, and the "Bultaco" and oval headlight was only for the first year.

I think it's about 68kg, same as any other modern-ish bike.  The 250 is very smooth, steering isn't as tight as a Gasgas (but that hasn't bothered me), the clutch is sticky when cold like many bikes of that time but when warm it's very nice and progressive.  It's not quite as quick to pull apart as a Gasgas but feels better made, the frame has a lot nicer build quality.  The choke lever is in a silly place, but I modified mine to make disengaging it easier.  The petrol tank is a good bit bigger than other bikes at 2.8 liters, which is good for me.

What I've read of the 290 version is that it's hard to ride, so I'd approach one of those with caution.

99 is red & branded as a Bultaco with Sherco as the model name, 2000 is blue & the first year of the Jarvis replica & 290 being available, also last year of the licensing agreement of the Bultaco name.

Some of the first year bikes were said to have spun the main bearings but I never had that problem, the motor was a lot smaller physically than the other brands bikes at the time which contributed to the light for the time weight, it was reckoned than when I moved from a Gas Gas JT35 to the Bultaco that it was around 10kg saving

The good thing with Sherco is they replaced parts with upgraded pieces while keeping the same part number for example the waterpump shaft for the mid 2000 bikes fits the 99s etc with the old part no longer available. Easy to change between 250 & 290 engine size, requires piston, barrel & head to be changed & nothing else - even the jetting is the same, it looks like 2011 was when the routing of the water changed so any 2010 & earlier model top end will fit

Probably the biggest concern is ignition parts as they were Ducati Electronica which may not be easy to get if need although Splatshop does show the coil/CDI as available. Plastics may also be harder to get now

Overall they're a reliable bike that are as good as anything else of the time 

Hi I have just finished rebuilding the motor of a 200cc bultaco Sherco which says on the tank Graham Jarvis winner if the 1999 Scottish 6 day. Looks to me as though it has never been trialled as plastics good headlamp intact no great scuffs on sump guard.

Will probably give it a run out then sell it as short of room