Older guy, wanting to try out Trials, but ??

Peabody

Hello from West central Missouri.

Older guy..I'm 62 years old.

Retired , and on fixed income. Social security. Been saving up for the last few years. Saved up 1500.00$

Been wanting a bike to ride. I do have a large yard here on the old farm.

Then I see a video of a trials bike.

I like the go slow part.

But anyhoo.. there's not much to pick from around here. Got on the web. Asking about a used bike.. 125cc ?  Nothing. But I was absolutely shocked to find out what a new trials bike costs. Ten thousand dollars.. that completely blows me out of the water. So I've signed up on here.. hopefully someone not to far away, might have an older used bike.  How in the world? And why do they cost so much ?  (Edit)...  Well.. big Charles motorsports in saint Louis has some new bikes .  6500.00 ..

Ouch.. just now reading more of the posts on here. Seems like most of you guys are overseas..

Way more trials bikes over there I guess.

Anyhow, I'm enjoying this site. Reading and trying to learn something.

But it looking like trials isn't affordable here in the states.

But ? All is not lost.. I do have an old Honda CM 91 super cub 90.. it's a 1969 model.  I've seen the guys in the old days, put huge rear sprocket on it. And use it as a trail bike . Ah ?? Dunno.. give it a shot I guess.

Edited by Peabody
  • Like 2

Hello mate,

I'm one of the few English folks to have visited your fair state (Bass Pro resort in Branson - what a place!).  I never lived in MO, but just down the road in TX for a few years and NOLA for a few more.

Right, with trials bikes, it's a very niche sort of interest, especially stateside.  I am new to trials myself, but not to motorcycling.  I reckon trials was invented in Europe because, generally speaking, we lack the space you guys have.  We can't just go off adventure riding in our national parks, it's mostly all banned.  So somewhere along the line (1940's??), someone thought it might be a good idea to take road bikes, strip bits off them and ride them up their friends hills, streams and so on.  Their friend of course, being a farmer with some land ownership.

If you really fancy giving it a try, I suggest connecting with a club as close as possible and see if someone is swinging by your town at some point.

Have you got all the tools and mechanical knowledge to keep a bike going?  A Beta Techno or Rev at 125 shouldn't be too hard to find at a decent price.  I guess you have Branson, Springfield, Tulsa and maybe KC to go clubs wise?

Patience will be key, but if you want to speed things up, setting up a trials course on your farm would bring them to you for sure!

I struggled trying to find a 125cc when I was looking for mine over the past few weeks.  Ended up getting a used 250.  I'll need to be careful, but, it's all in the wrist.

• Like 2

Hello lowside ! Thanks for the reply.

Yes. I'll keep looking, hopefully something will pop up this summer.

I do have land. Woods and timber.

Old dry creek bed.  I've rode motorcycle for many years. But my bikes got to big and heavy for me. Sold them lotta years ago. 

Got an old Honda four wheeler to plunk around on , here on the farm.

I'll try to find a group or club .  And go see what it's all about.

Thank you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peabody said:

Hello lowside ! Thanks for the reply.

Yes. I'll keep looking, hopefully something will pop up this summer.

I do have land. Woods and timber.

Old dry creek bed.  I've rode motorcycle for many years. But my bikes got to big and heavy for me. Sold them lotta years ago. 

Got an old Honda four wheeler to plunk around on , here on the farm.

I'll try to find a group or club .  And go see what it's all about.

Thank you.

Welcome, I found a club and I've sent you the details by PM.  I hesitate to say the club is local, because MO is huge, but they will know which direction to point you I'm sure.

Keep in touch with us here.  People do reply, it's just slow on all forums these days, since everyone went to Facebook (which I dont use).

What part of Missouri do you consider "west central?"  There is a group of guys that ride at chadwick most weekends.   

I live in Joplin and ride with a club out of Tulsa (NEOTT).   I have a bike I would let go for a reasonable price (1999 GasGas 270).

You should ride one before deciding to purchase.  Let me know if you want to give one a try. Trials riders are more than happy to let you ride their bikes and dispense advice.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, The_Drew said:

What part of Missouri do you consider "west central?"  There is a group of guys that ride at chadwick most weekends.   

I live in Joplin and ride with a club out of Tulsa (NEOTT).   I have a bike I would let go for a reasonable price (1999 GasGas 270).

You should ride one before deciding to purchase.  Let me know if you want to give one a try. Trials riders are more than happy to let you ride their bikes and dispense advice.

Clinton Missouri.. north of Springfield.

Hey thanks.  I'd be interested in meeting up with you sometime.

Yes I'd also be interested about your bike.  You'd have to tell me all about it. I know nothing about them.

Thank you !

On 4/20/2023 at 8:48 PM, Peabody said:

Clinton Missouri.. north of Springfield.

Hey thanks.  I'd be interested in meeting up with you sometime.

Yes I'd also be interested about your bike.  You'd have to tell me all about it. I know nothing about them.

Thank you !

On 4/20/2023 at 8:50 PM, Peabody said:

Wonder if you would like to come up here and ride on my farm ? I'd feed ya!!

It'll be easier to show you the bike when we get together.  

I could easily make it up to your farm.  Clinton is only about 2 hours from here.

I do have events just about every weekend for the next 5 weeks, but might be able to squeeze something in.

There are two clubs that are equidistant to you: M.A.T.T. rides in Trenton, MO.  M.I.T.A. rides in Belle, MO(that's where I'm headed this weekend).

Feel free to contact me with any questions. 

Edited by The_Drew

I will definitely be looking forward to meeting up with you.

My cell phone number is.

Sometimes I miss phone calls.. but I always check my texts.

Yes.. come on up .

Thanks.

Edited by Peabody

4 hours ago, lowside said:

Hello mate,

I'm one of the few English folks to have visited your fair state (Bass Pro resort in Branson - what a place!).  I never lived in MO, but just down the road in TX for a few years and NOLA for a few more.

Right, with trials bikes, it's a very niche sort of interest, especially stateside.  I am new to trials myself, but not to motorcycling.  I reckon trials was invented in Europe because, generally speaking, we lack the space you guys have.  We can't just go off adventure riding in our national parks, it's mostly all banned.  So somewhere along the line (1940's??), someone thought it might be a good idea to take road bikes, strip bits off them and ride them up their friends hills, streams and so on.  Their friend of course, being a farmer with some land ownership.

If you really fancy giving it a try, I suggest connecting with a club as close as possible and see if someone is swinging by your town at some point.

Have you got all the tools and mechanical knowledge to keep a bike going?  A Beta Techno or Rev at 125 shouldn't be too hard to find at a decent price.  I guess you have Branson, Springfield, Tulsa and maybe KC to go clubs wise?

Patience will be key, but if you want to speed things up, setting up a trials course on your farm would bring them to you for sure!

I struggled trying to find a 125cc when I was looking for mine over the past few weeks.  Ended up getting a used 250.  I'll need to be careful, but, it's all in the wrist.

As far as mechanical abilities.. I'm not terrible.. I did replace the roller bearings in my hay baler..

But I'm also not good at it either..

I can get it done. But my son is a mercury marine mechanic.. hes good at it😁.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lowside said:

Hello mate,

"We lack the space you guys have".  Exactly.