Gossey

40 minutes ago, Gossey said:

Hi everyone. New to trials,been riding a 2009 Gasgas 125 txt for a few months. Just upgraded to a 2015 Sherco ST300 Factory. 

Hello , Adam Raga just upgraded to a SHERCO ST300 and came 2nd at the DL12 Arena trial against Jaime Busto so everyone will be expecting great things of you. Have a great time and make good friends with the SHERCO rear brake pedal.

Howdy, long time road and enduro rider finally saw the light and bought a trials bike , keen to learn the dark art , nowhere to ride the thing apart from the back garden , currently just sorting some maint issues out on the bike and practicing static balance in the garage, just done 30 seconds stand which I thought would be easy on a trials bike but not for me it seems , over 50 but still loving motorcycles , Cheers peeps!

1 hour ago, cello said:

Howdy, long time road and enduro rider finally saw the light and bought a trials bike , keen to learn the dark art , nowhere to ride the thing apart from the back garden , currently just sorting some maint issues out on the bike and practicing static balance in the garage, just done 30 seconds stand which I thought would be easy on a trials bike but not for me it seems , over 50 but still loving motorcycles , Cheers peeps!

If you are practising static balancing try changing your handle bar position by  pushing them forwards in the clamps it makes it easier to balance if  you get your chest in line with an imaginary line coming up from the angle of the forks by leaning forward and you will feel the difference there is between being further  back , this also helps when you start to hop the back wheel around during static balancing as your weight positioning is onto the bars to push against them as you unload the rear end to lift the rear wheel off the ground.  

• Like 1

Will give that a go cheers, although the front suspension seems to be very soft compressing about 40-45% with me on board in my civilian attire, I'm about 13.5 stone so a little on the soft side. I hardened the forks up a tad and that seemed to help but I also put the tires up to 10 psi so slightly over pressure. Obviously on a concrete floor with the engine off so I'm hoping for easy 30 seconds stands when outside engine running on the dirt.

19 minutes ago, cello said:

Will give that a go cheers, although the front suspension seems to be very soft compressing about 40-45% with me on board in my civilian attire, I'm about 13.5 stone so a little on the soft side. I hardened the forks up a tad and that seemed to help but I also put the tires up to 10 psi so slightly over pressure. Obviously on a concrete floor with the engine off so I'm hoping for easy 30 seconds stands when outside engine running on the dirt.

Its OK Trials suspension is that soft it is normal. When you are practising at first try putting 3.5 psi in the back and 5 psi in the front when you are in the garage to help you its much easier to static balance on grass or dirt with the normal trials pressures of around  6 front 4 rear. Hope you enjoy it enough to stick with it.

10 minutes ago, Spanners0568 said:

Hello everyone,

about to buy a trials bike and riding gear! Absolutely new to this been road riding and trackdays for years but wanted another hobby for new skills!

Advice on second hand bike and kit please..

👍🏼

Buy something built in this century and fitted with 4 piston front brake, 2 piston rear brake and most important it needs to start easy.  For gear you will want an open face helmet, gloves, proper trials riding boots and a back protector is recommended or required once you plan to ride in competitions.  To advance your riding skills fast you will want riding partners, ideally someone riding at a higher level than yourself that you can follow, plus a venue that features some challenging natural terrain.  Trials bikes are among the most expensive motorcycle per pound you will ever buy but cost of operation is relatively low, they don't break easy and they burn relatively little fuel, however replacement parts like fenders and tires will be expensive.  If buying used, plan on spend almost as much time servicing your motorcycle as riding it.

Got a Nau N400 Zona XL 61/62 helmet in good condition £35 plus postage

If it's of interest I can e mail some photos.

IMG_2378.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG

Edited by majesty
tried to upload photos

Great, thanks for the heads up!

I do have several friends that have been trials riding for a couple of years now and intend to go with them! I'm thinking second hand no more than two and half thousand!

Any recommendations as to make / models?

I will measure my head and get back to you re crash helmet, ta..

Cheers

On 1/29/2024 at 1:57 AM, Tr1AL said:

@celloHere is a look at Trials suspension https://youtu.be/rbLltLQCcMc?future=shared

Cheers yes well worth a look, thks. I really need to get out and practice but that was always the perenial issue when i rode Enduro, where tp practice. Well now i,m older I am really conscious of not wanting to be seen as a local yob (Or no*)  razzing up and down my close so where to ride mmmmmmm

I'm thinking of maybe a car park somewhere or a private commercial park rd just to get some time on the bike before I venture to a proper trials park. The bike is quiet enough to take to some woods but in this country its pretty difficult to not annoy someone just putt putting around in circles for 30 minutes lol 

@cello As you say this is not a Country that it is easy to find any place to ride , It is best to join a club that has a practice venue for its members use and just use that sort of place as it makes it more or less fuss free when you want to get out on your bike , but if you do not live 15 minutes away it makes it inconvenient if you have other commitments in your spare time.  You have to be determined if you want to ride competition bikes here , on the plus side it is a cheap sport compared with other motorcycle sports so not so bad. Hope you can find a club near you that has some facilities.