2016 OSET 16.0 anyone know how many volts the controller can withstand?

I recently purchased from Facebook marketplace a 2010 OSET 16  24v. I think? The controller has a born on date of 2010.

I bought a 48-72v step down to 24v 40a converter. I use a ego 56v batteries which can put out 50amps. It works fantastic, with a little better performance then stock due to lithium battery. 

My question is, is there anyone with experience putting more volts to the controller then 24v? Looking to get a little more out of it's performance. 

Thank you again for all the support. I didn't even think I would get an answer. I got a discussion! Gonna stick with what it is setup as now. Hope he hits a growth spurt soon. 

Edited by eddieocean227

I have zero experience with Osets, but can you open the controller and have a look inside?  

The DC link capacitors (large electrolytics) will have a voltage rating written on them.  The power MOSFETs will have a part number that you can search to find a datasheet that will specify its maximum voltage.  In both cases, you want to have a safety margin between their ratings and your maximum operating voltage.  The closer you cut the safety margin, the worse the long-term reliability.

You can buy electronic speed controls (ESCs) for electric bicycles very inexpensively.

What does the tag on your motor say?   Attached is the tag from a little Oset motor and what it says for power is all it can handle.  I'm guessing the motor you have indicates a voltage range and not a fixed voltage?  ... & are we seriously talking about souping up a kids electric scooter 🤔 that usually means it is time for a full size motorcycle.

osetmotor.jpeg

Thank you for the advice. I will open it up and see what the capacitor says. I have a son how is on the small side but big ability. Bike size fits him well. Motor size he could handle the 24 

He has razor dirt bikes fitted with much higher voltage and watts. 

Thank you again 

You're not going to get more power out of the same motor, you need to change the motor to one that operates on higher voltage and is capable of drawing the additional watts.  Watts is the measure of power and heat, volts is the measure of electron push.  Then you need a motor controller that is suited to that motor.  Basically the motor horsepower upgrade path on an Oset is to add batteries and replace the 2 most expensive parts, the motor speed controller and the motor.  Pavement is about the only place they will be able to use the extra power, everywhere dirt will be wheel spin because the small diameter rear tires are marginal on loose or slippery surfaces.

37 minutes ago, lemur said:

You're not going to get more power out of the same motor....

That's not true.  Power is proportional to torque times RPM.  Increase the voltage available to a DC motor and you can increase its maximum RPM capability.

Whether or not that will improve an Oset, I have no idea.  Whether or not the reliability of the Oset system degrades to an unacceptable level, I have no idea. 

I've outlined some basics here (and in subsections): https://www.electricmotiontech.com/home/ev-tech-101

It's a brushed electric motor, if you put more volts through it then the windings are rated for of course it will spin a little faster, right up until it fries.  Stepping up the voltage with an additional battery array and then adding a step-down transformer to bring the voltage back down to suit the motor was an expensive and complex way to increase the battery capacity feeding the original motor.

Edited by lemur