Tyre Pressure,oil Type, Manual & Exhaust

jetset

What would be the correct tyre pressures on my TY250 for general practise and messing about? If they are too low will it split the side walls of the tyres?

Have tried to get a workshop manual for my bike but am struggling, tried loads of places but am surprised how hard it has been to track one down for such a popular bike, any ideas?

Can anyone reccommend the best 2 stroke oil to keep things running sweetly and also which gearbox oil?

Should the joint where silencer meets exhaust be sealed with exhaust paste, currently mine is just pushed on and is a fairly loose fit.

I seem to be asking a lot of questions on this forum but am new to trials and keen to learn about my bike and trials in general. Had a couple of dirt bikes before but not for a few years. Thanks for the help, their is some great information on this forum for people starting out.

For a manual, watch eBay. One will come up.

A good starting point is:

6psi front

4psi rear

No you wont hurt the sidewalls unless you smash the rim into something hard at speed in which case yes you will cut through the sidewalls and tube.

If you ride at high speed in warm conditions you might overheat the tyres so if you do much road work, you may need to pump them up for that use.

It is impossible to find decent grip off road with trials tyres at tyre pressures much above what I have recommended. Many newcomers are worried about getting flat tyres when using trials pressure so you are not alone.

David

Cheers David, hope my questions are not too trivial!

I am really surprised how easy the TY is to work on, everything is accessible and comes apart easily (so far). Looking forward to getting out on it, been 5 years since I had an off road bike and missed it.

James

re your oil questions, I use Silkolene comp 2 pre mix oil at 70:1. For the gearbox I'm using Dextron II ATF. As you have dirt bike experience, you might think that 70:1 is way too lean on the oil, but for trials work, and with a modern syntheitc oil, this is more than enough oil. You shouldn't be reving the nuts off it (unlike a MX bike), so this amount of oil is sufficient. Remember if/when you're running the tyre pressures recommender by feetupfun that you must have those things to stop the tyre spinning on the rim (I can't remember their real name..old age creeping up on me again).. ah yes, security bolts, phew I though I had really lost it there. that's enough for now.

30:1 is burning a lot of oil compared to 70:1. Although, I've known people to ride their bikes at 90:1 without problems. 30:1 is definatly playing it on the safe side, but I think it would load up your bike. (it's not bad though because the oil is getting lots of oil to keep it lubricated, once you get up to the higher ratios:1, the engine is burning less oil, running hotter, and there is more friction being produced

30:1 - lots of oil being burned

40:1 - less oil being burned

50:1 - less oil being burned

etc.. That might take the guess work out of it :thumbup: