Ty250 Pinky Advice.

348mate

Excuse my total ignorance of Yams! I may have a look at a pinky thats for sale locally.

Can anyone tell me how to date the bike, i dont think seller has a clue, maybe frame numbers or the like?

Did pinkys ever have discs as standard? if so from what year? (this one doesnt)

thanks S.M.

Hi 348,

here goes with my bit of help, firstly if it has'nt got a disc on the front it isn't a pinky (unless it has had it removed for some reason).Pinky's were prduced with a disc on the front and a drum at the rear as standard and both front and rear hubs were silver unlike all the earlier TY's which had black hubs.

I think they came out late 91, I bought one new in 92 and in my opinion they were and still are a very very good bike.I would say the best way to date the bike is to get in touch with Yamaha UK and give them the frame and engine nos, or a Yamaha main agent could possibly help. :lol:

( Could be wrong about this but I believe the frame nos started 4AJ*000001 )

post-997-1143560938.jpg

Edited by 2fargone

Pinkie model had white frame, blue forks, silver hubs, grey clutch case & mag cover, pink rear mudguard, pink seat base and green seat. Main difference was front disc (drilled) fitted standard and an expansion bottle for rear suspension (although this may have been on white model too). Hope this helps.

This is the slightly tatty pinky i bought last weekend and was informed it was a 1990 model, it has the 4AJ on start of frame number as per people have been stating, my frame and front forks have been painted a horrible green colour but apart from that it is standard, it has the adjustable rear mono shock and front disc. This is my first trials bike but if the pic helps any than glad to be of help, i have been given a lot of good advice by the members of this forum over the last few days.I paid

Thanks guys for all the info, i did indeed go look at the one locally, what an effing waste of time ,an absolute wreck of a totally hashed together undateable piece of tat....the seller typified an outsiders "image" of a dour tight scotsman , although i can assure anyone that he isnt typical of most of us!!

i will keep looking.

S.M.

• 1 year later...

Why not try ebay? go for 100% feedback score and ask the right questions ie are the frame/ engine numbers present? you should be able to pick up a good' un, they seem to be going very cheap at the moment! :rolleyes: