Ty250 Disc Brake/ Drum Improvement

scott_king

Hey all

I need to improve the braking on my TY250. Currently I have drum brakes but they are not up to scratch for time trials.

I have heard about a talon kit to convert the front brake to a disc. But I am unsure if they still make it or any are still around. I could swap the front ends out of a TY250 pinky. To this extent I was wondering if a newer front wheel and brake set will work if I make up a bracket. I have heard of a 2000 Gas Gas front wheel, spindle and brake being fitted.

Does anyone have any of the above they are willing to sale?

If I cannot get any of the above, can I improve the drum brakes in anyway?

Cheers

Scott :P

I put the 2000 GasGas front wheel and disc on my 86 TY mono. The Talon etc kits are about non existent over here, and I've also heard some of them wre not that good. I used the GG because I had it, but it worked super. I highly recommend it.

Incredible difference, not just in power of brakes, but in consistency. With enough care, the drum could be quite strong, but spongy with cable stretch, and totally inconsistent from wet to dry, mud to dust, etc . etc.

Bruce Anderson was going to post the pics and .doc notes on his TY website. If he hasn't had time, PM me and I will get the info. I have SLOW dialup, so hopefully don't have to go that route.

kcj