Ariel V Ariel

trialsrfun

despite the weight advantage of todays ariel i would think that sammy has at least that advantage over gaunty! so as a 'package' i should imagine that weight wise the two are evenly matched

fro the two big bikes to do so well against the smaller james and cubs proves , i think, that this years trial was very much won by the right bike for the conditions , powerful well suspended with excellent grip just what you'd choose for dry loose rocks and lots of shale

wheras last year with the torrents in the burns the nimbler bike that could change direction quickly was predominant

Edited by totalshell

Yes, Neils a big lad-he was out yesterday at an excellent Sam Cooper Union Jack trial.Ariels were out in force, Mick Grant,Neil, Martyn Wilmore and myself plus a couple more, in an event which actually favoured 'big' bikes. Over 100 riders and quite a few rigids as well. And well supported by other yorkshire riders , on what probally isn't their favourite terrain!

Edited by TRICKYMICKY

The fact that the P65 is won each year by such a variety of bikes (& riders) speaks volumes in my opinion for the event and its organisation.

Returning to the Ariels though how do you save 25ibs weight over GOV 132 when presumably the weight of the engine and gearbxes are very similar, it is a lot of weight to shed.

despite the weight advantage of todays ariel i would think that sammy has at least that advantage over gaunty! so as a 'package' i should imagine that  weight wise the two are evenly matched fro the two big bikes to do so well against the smaller james and cubs proves , i think, that this years trial was very much won by the right bike for the conditions , powerful well suspended with excellent grip just what you'd choose for dry loose rocks and lots of shale
I understand Sam also used the full compression road piston (and cam) as opposed the milder HT versions...running spark fully advanced, so he definitely likes power! I've done the same thing with my own HT5 replica, which seems to work well for a heavier rider. You still want to be pointed the direction you want to be going when you crank it on though! It also weighed in at 225 lbs using standard pre-65 aftermarket "kit" parts. I understand some are down to 205 or so with lots of drilling and liberal use of "unobtanium" components. But I'm happy there...it's only a couple more lbs then my old TL-250 Honda!