Ssdt Rules

davehill

Could any one please tell me where i could get the regulations for the ssdt. I have a 1968 b40 does any one know if it is eligible for the pre 65 trials . I know this was made after 65 but they were in production befor . Many thanks Dave

Howdy. Would you be the Dave Hill from the 70s rock band SLADE? :D

B40 is ok for brit bike trials, the pre 65 lable is not what it means just a general expression. Try the SSDT forum for more info on that event. Cheers :wall:

as the regs have gone from the website the rules are essentially that as long as the bits were commonly available pre 65 and made in uk your ok , carb cant be anything more exotic than a mk1 amal and forks can be anything inside as long as externally their p65 no tubeless tyres that about covers it ..

dave thorpe,s cub was more in the "spirit" of the event than alot more of the machines.how much of sammy millers famous ariel was pre 65 when he was winning the pre 65 ssdt but once again i think it was more of a case of man and not machine.

Must admit i dont remember that many people running Tiger Cubs with the bottom engine mounting removed and rewelded onto the rear of the crankcase, 250 cc engine, no bottom rails to the frame which also has revised head an steering geometry and made out of lightweight high tensile tubing, Marzocchi disguised forks and gas shocks oh yes and a titanium exhaust in 1964. But then again the memory plays tricks eh :D

As has been previously said the name Dave Thorpe et al, not picking on him as he is only one of many, seemed to have a strange effect on the eyesight and unbiased technical judgement of the scrutineers. :blink:

Remember the post was asking about the potential elegibility of davehills BSA B40. Well the obvious honest answer is "it's got bugger all to do with the bike it all depends on who you are." Plus Tiger Cubs all over the land seem to get away with twisting the rules as their owners see fit, frames forks Mikuni carbs 250cc conversions and god only knows what else, whilst "other makes and models" are not allowed to.

My advice to davehill is sell the B40 and buy a tiger cub.

Oh yes and change your name to Dave Thorpe or Mick Andrews Mick Grant or some other "great" picked at ramdom from past top placers.

Go on prove me wrong :wall:

Edited by Old trials fanatic

Thanks fellas i think that might maybe mean yes to the original question but still not sure .

The problem arose when i sold the bike on ebay to a chap who decided it wasnt eligable for pre65 trials when he realised how far he would have to travel to collect it , Cumbria to portsmouth is quite a long way

I dont know a lot about old bikes but looks like its got the right age bits on it to me

post-2609-1148063486.jpg

how much of sammy millers famous ariel was pre 65 when he was winning the pre 65 ssdt but once again i think it was more of a case of man and not machine.
Well, if engine design alone was the indicator then it would qualify for pre-45 trials! As for other designs, I'm sure rules vary however the year the model debuted is often used in vintage trials and racing, which seems reasonable and in line with the "spirit" of the class...so a 1966 Tiger Cub can properly be allowed to compete, whether celebrity-ridden or not!

Dave your bike would be fine for pre 65 trials in fact i remember i put a bid in on it :wall:

However your post asked about the scottish pre65 event which is an entirely different can of worms as you may have gathered from the responses.

Think after looking closely at your bike that the guy is just trying to get out of the deal. I remember your listing and there was nothing wrong or infered in it. The bike would be fine in almost any center i can think of, just take the number plate off, just perhaps uncompetitive as most B40's are pretty tricked up. You still have to ride them though as i recently found out :D

Are you going to relist on e bay? Might pop a bid in on it myself if you do.

Thanks buddy thats what i was wanting to hear i dont know anything about old bikes and i couldnt find any one who would give me a straight answer. I am going to relist the b40 next week but would prefer a swop for a two seater as will have a dot to play with soon .