Tyre Help .... Pleeeese

ruffrider

Hi,

I've just bought my lad a used Saracen 2 zero MAD (if that makes a difference??).

It needs new tyres and thought I'd ask for some advice.

Which should I buy (He's only 9 so I guess the cheapest? but is that wise?)

What should I expect to pay ?

Any advice on where to buy them (we're between Leeds and Bradford, West Yorks) ?

The current tyres say 20 inch but someone told me we need 19inch on the rear. Looking on the internet there seems to be both. I presume we need 20inch. True ?

The widths seem odd, the bike has 2.125 on the front and 2.25 on the rear. Are these standard sizes ? If I can't/don't match these widths, what do recommend I go for and would I need new inner tubes ?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks, Richard.

I got a new wheel from 'tartybikes.co.uk'. They were really helpful and explained this tyre size business to me. What i understood from what the guy told me on the phone is that modern 20 inch trials bikes if you measure the diameter of the full wheel with the tyre on front and back then they should be pretty much te same, give or take abit due to tyre pressures. This means that the rear rim has to be smaller than the front by a little bit due to the fatter tyre. Apparently the 20 inchtyres for the back are hardly ever used now, so chances are its a 19 inch one. If you give them a ring then they will probably know what size you need for that bike.

I got a 19 inch swamp crawler (maxxis i think) It is a good tyre and hasn't worn too quickly with regular use on rocks and tarmac. But i think that on push bikes it is alot more about technique than tyres as regarding grip so long as you do have trials tyres.

Hope his helps

Bob

my mates use maxxis creepy crawlers but after a couple of weeks theyre gone so i tend to use a cheap tyre.although if he does ride alot of natural stuff for example rocks get him the maxxis creepy crawlers there mint tyres!and if you tell the guys at tarty the bike theyll probably know which tyre you'll need.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice.

Clearly there's confusion with the wider tyres and rim sizes especially 'cos I wasn't sure if the rims were original (bought the bike second hand).

So I decided to visit my local(ish) shop at the weekend.

After a few visits (in the end with the rim in my hand) we established that the 20x2.5 Creepies would definitely not go on so we went for Max Daddies.

My lad is happy and my wallet not depleted.

Thanks again.