Villiers Electronic Ignition Suggestions Please

old trials fanatic

I'm currently putting together a Villiers 32a engine to go in the James frame, when it eventually arrives :P , and i've got to sort out the ignition. Now i've got a PVL on the B40 and am most impressed but i dont know what is the best system to fit on the Villiers engine so was wondering if anybody had any experience of them.

As usual heard different stories about the systems on offer so which is the best? :P

I cant afford to buy a system only to find that it's not up to scratch or unreliable.

Oh yes dont know if it matters but i've got an Alpha full circle crank with a std Villiers taper fitted. Havent got a flywheel yet as i thought it might depend on the type of ignition i eventually get what i fit.

So there must be some of you out there using one opinions please :crying:

Edited by Old trials fanatic

had a 32a in my greeves i could never get it to run right until i fitted the 'greeves' electronic ignition

first time starting every time any circumstances

very tunable but hard to get the same setting twice as it was hard to work out exactly what the setting was

expensive to do the job properly i had to buy the modified and wider outer casing and i think in all it came in about 450

tooo hard even when set soft i rode plenty of 32a that were much softer with different ignitions

i think with hind sight i 'd try rex caunts if there was a next time

Simon Bateman at Nametab in Redditch does an electronic ignition. I've got one for my Villiers but haven't tried it properly yet, only fired the bike up with it.

It looks as though it could be made by the same people making the Majesty and Bultaco ignitions (I don't know if it is or not, it's just a very similar looking setup in terms of source coil and HT Coil/CDI Unit)

With the Villiers ignition he will take your backplate in exchange and supply a modified one to take the new stator plate. It will work with the existing Villiers flywheel. Can't remember the price off the top of my head but give him a ring and he will tell you what is involved and cost etc. Bultaco/Majesty ignitions are about

Ive run one of Simon Bateman's systems for just over a year with no problems at all. Its worth buying the inner casing from him as well then it truly is a bolt on conversion. Timing is easily adjustable, my engine will run very slowly and cleanly.

He makes all sorts for Villiers and I cant speak highly enough about the guy and no, I'm not sponsored by him. I just appreciate a fellow engineers work.

Other parts he does include full circle cranks, stronger crankcases, gear sets, clutch baskets etc, etc. Oh and makes a ring weight to convert a standard Villiers flywheel into something suitable for trials.

His phone number is 01527 522266