Electronic Ty

dale

Just a query,a mate of mine was told you could fit the electronic ignition off a DT straight on to a TY with no mods. If this is the case,why is,nt everyone fitting them?Must be more to it? :thumbup:

You don't say whether it is the 175 or the 250 model but for either, I don't believe it is just a simple bolt on job. Unfortunately, neither do I know what is involved to make the DT ignition fit, if it is possible.

I do know though, that a TY Mono stator can be used on the TY250 twinshock, using the twinshock flywheel and the mono CDI and coil. The mono flywheel won't fit the twinshock crank. People have done this. I had a 250 Majesty running once with a mono stator but then Craig Mawlam brought out the electronic ignition for the twinshock Yams so I bought one of those instead. From memory, I had to to elongate the mounting slots in the mono stator to achieve something like the correct timing, although it was trial and error for static timing as the timing mark on the mono stator is of no use on the twinshock. Once running a strobe can be used to set new TDC and timing marks.

Depends on budget I guess but the easiest solution is to get the electronic ignition off Craig as it is just bolt on using the existing flywheel and is available for 175 or 250 engines. Cost is about

I was thinking of this, as the point system gives great first kick spark, but wears when not maintained. Since my Ty175 only gets aoccasional use, the points get dry and wear. I thought of the early DT ignitions.

The input I got from vintage TY experts in thos country was that the early tries at electronic igntions (even major OEM japanise brands) were not a lot more reliable than the points. makes sense, given electronics in the 70's.

I was recommedned the kit that Bob Ginder and Keith Dunlop developed, B&J racing, but too spendy for the use I give the bike. So, I jsut maintain the points every couple years.

kcj