Sherco Bolts

rapid roy

IM CURRENTLY IN THE MIDDLE OF FETTLING THE BIKE FOR THE INCOMING SEASON

06 BLACK FRAME MODEL

REMOVING THE FRONT BRAKE CALIBRE THE HEADS OF THE BOLTS SHEARED (REPLACED WITH MONTESA ONES)

I CANT BELIEVE THE SHEAR LACK OF GREASE ON MOVING PARTS

THE CHAIN TENSIONER ARM IS VERY WEAK

IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD BE CHECKING TO INSURE TROUBLE FREE TRAILING

CHEERS

Edited by rapid roy

• 2 weeks later...

I will only say that if you spend an ounce of prevention it is worth a pound of cure!

Coat the threads of all your common bolts with a mix of anti-sieze and good grease and you will never have a problem!

Even the 4RT will corrode like a pig if you do not protect it from the mud and water entry! Those Jap bolts are the worst when it happens!

:thumbup:

Crap fastenings (Japanese, Spanish or Italian) are the bane of our lives.

Good quality bolts are still very cheap and are available in a variety of materials and coatings.

I buy M5 and M6 socket heads (Allen) and button heads 50 at a time 25mm long in A2 stainless, they don't cost so much and you can easily cut them down.

BUT

Dont Ever use Stainless bolts to mount calipers or discs.

Buy HT Steel, yellow passivated or galvanised if you can find them, and coat them with copperslip or waxoyl

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, i was told that stainless bolt have less tensile strength than mild steel and are more prone to shear :beer:

Correct if using Stainless in high stress areas you MAY have problems but I beleive differnt grades are available for such instances, this is where Ti is worth considering as the higher grade stainless may be about the same cost or not much in it and Ti is obviously lighter and a bit more bling :rolleyes: