Cub Punctures

vinnied

Any of you Pre65 ers have any problems with rear wheel Punctures and tyre coming of the rim

I am approx 15st in gear. New rear tyre plus heavy tube there are two tyre clamps.

I was riding on 5lbs approx hoping the 5 would keep the tyre on the rim, not a chance.

The tube burst opposite valve.

post-14-1077701719.jpg

Edited by Vinnied

• 2 weeks later...

Vinnied:

I thought I'd hazard a guess or two which may (or may not) be helpful to you.

1) I'm not sure the location of the tube failure is important in this case. If the valve stem had been torn out - we'd have a good idea what happened. But a tube failure on the OD of the tube near the valve stem? I don't think that tells us anything.

2) Your post said the tube "burst" at that point. Did it burst - or was it "mashed through" - ie stone cut against the rim? Were you riding rocks or other "square edge" obstacles when the tube failed? Does the tire show any signs of abuse = rock/rim cuts?

Ed

Keep the rubber side down!

I've not experienced tyres coming off the rim. But i do remember seeing rims with self tappers going through to hold the tyre as well as security bolts. Makes a mess of rim and tyre though. Have you had your rear wheel rebuilt? could be the rim is dished differently inside... for a tubeless tyre perhaps. Not sure if that makes any difference but someone else might

Ooops. I skipped right over the part about the tire coming off the rim. I'm stumped. I've NEVER had a tire come off the rim while riding. Surely there is some sort of mis-match between the tire and rim (rim to small?? - though I have NO idea how that could be).