Ajs 16Cs Front Forks Strip

16cs ajs

Hi peeps,

I'm optimistic that the pre 65, pre-unit AMC chaps on this site, can offer me the benefit of their experience? I want to renew the oil seals in the "teledraulic" front forks on my 350 AJS trials bike. I've owned the bike for twenty years and never had to strip the forks. I've withdrawn the legs and removed the setscrew from the base, which I believe secures the inner damper tube. There isn't a circlip above or retaining the oil seal, as with Honda and Yamaha. How do I withdraw the stanchion from the lower leg? I'm not inclined to apply any force at this stage. It may be possible to remove the seals by drilling into them and using two self tapping screws to gain some purchase, but clearly the forks must come apart, at which point, I can inspect the internals and renew the seals. From experience, what volume and weight of oil is recommended? My period handbook states 185cc of SAE 20, but that will have been for a road bike with pillion. Much obliged.

have you unscrewed the seal retainer?? this is chrome section on the top of the alloy leg.once this is off,soak the seals outside edge where they meet the alloy of the leg with penetrating fluid of some sort.now the leg can be pulled apart from the stantion.one has to be gripped tight in a vice or something similar whilst you pull the other bit. if they still have the rebound springs fitted it makes it harder to do as the springs soften the effort you put in. dont bash the top of the leg with anything, this area is quite fragile. clamp a bit of rod or tube in the spindle clamp and work from there.

a bit of heat from a hot air gun can be useful.

sae 20 should be okay, the amount will be up to you,you are riding it!