One For Ferretflasher - 4rt Ptogrammable Ecu

woody

Recently bought the programmable ECU from <mention of this company is not permitted on Trials Central>, mainly because I wanted to slow down the throttle response coming off tickover. It's too sharp for my liking as standard. First thing I did was install the mild map and a Mitani front pipe and tried it the following day at our trial.

Definite difference noticed straight away. Rode off towards sections and normally whilst in top gear just twist the throttle, gentle pull on the bars and up it comes onto the back wheel for effortless wheelies up the field. This time there was a slight lag in response and it needed more of a pull or higher revs for the same effect. Good I thought, a definite difference so something has changed. Noticed the difference in sections too as when pulling just off tickover on cambers and uphill turns there was less of a tendency for the wheel to spin up with the slower response. Due to the appalling weather, there were some 3rd gear flat out muddy climbs too and there was no lack of mid or top end power so first go and pretty pleased with the result.

However - and this is where Mr Ferretflasher comes in - I would like it softer still so was going to map a setting myself. Until I came to look at how to do it. Can't make head nor tail of what to do. I've looked at the ignition graph for the softer mild map and expected to to see a slight retardation in lower rev range going back to 'standard' for the last two thirds. But the graph is all over the place and there are different settings for TH position/rpm setting.... What is TH position - throttle? throttle position sensor? If so, how can you have a setting for 3% TH at 12000 revs...?? You can't make half revs at 3% throttle opening never mind 12000.

Unless I'm missing something very fundamental, the instructions don't give any information at all on what the effect will be of changing settings. It tells you how to change them, which anyone can work out, but not how to increase/decrease power delivery for a specific rev range. I don't get the TH thing at all. And as for the fuel settings, in the absence of any guidance on how much to alter them I wouldn't touch them for fear of burning out pistons/valves etc by leaning off too much.

Attached are screen shots of the ignition map for the mild setting, one for 3% TH which is sort of something like I expected to see, then one for 5% TH which makes no sense at all and looks more like the ECG trace of a hospital patient about to recieve the last rites - akin to how I feel after trying to work this out.

So Ferretflasher, how do I soften the bottom end a bit more without altering mid to top range? - for the moment anyway. Can you help?

Edited by Woody

PM or EM me for a map that is super soft and well tested. It totally transforms the 4RT performance and was used in this year's SSDT.

:)

Speak to munch at M sport, he has more knowledge than anyone IMHO on this subject. Tell him what you want and he will write that map!!!!!!!!!!! 01438 742724.

Stocks the mitani parts aswell I think.

Speak to munch at M sport, he has more knowledge than anyone IMHO on this subject. Tell him what you want and he will write that map!!!!!!!!!!! 01438 742724.

does m sport have a website?

does m sport have a website?

don't think its up and running but speak to Munch he is very approachable, a rider too of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately not, we have absolutely no practise ground around here anymore, the few places we did have are now off-limits so the only opportunity to ride these days is at an event, practise is a thing of the past.

Since you and FF sent the maps I have been riding enduro and now have two classic trials over the next two weeks, then another two enduros, then finally I might be able to try the 4RT at a trial before the Lakes 2 day trial mid October - if the regs appear and I'm lucky enough to get in - or I may just try it around the back garden....

I'm really interested to try the different maps, just bloody frustrating having to wait, but I'll let you know as soon as I do.

I did compare the graphs of all the different maps though - they still make no sense......