Tdn Teams

john collins

I confirm the British Trial Des Nations Squads who will compete in the event in France.

Men: Dougie Lampkin, Graham Jarvis, Shaun Morris, James Dabill.

As usual - Steve Colley - whose results in Brit Champ prove he can still beat most of them - was the difficult name to leave out.

It was felt however that Shaun and James as up and coming riders who are competing on the World and European stage deserve a chance to represent the UK - and have the opportunity the gain experience with Dougie and Graham which will hopefully pay off in future years. This certainly proved the case last year when Shaun rode brilliantly

Steve understands this situation - but for sure will be watching with close scrutiny to see if they shape up.

Women: Becky Cook, Donna Fox, Maria Conway

I confirm the British Trial Des Nations Squads who will compete in the event in France.

Women: Becky Cook, Donna Fox, Maria Conway

Men: Dougie Lampkin, Graham Jarvis, Shaun Morris, James Dabill.

There, does that look better. :)

Edited by jordi

This is getting like bloody politics - you can't say anything for fear of someone stating you're discriminating against someone.

He's put the blokes title, then their names, then a bit explaining what might be a burning question on many peoples minds, then the ladies title, then the ladies names, and there doesn't seem to be a need for any explanation.

Just face it Kinell, you're too old for it, no matter how you try to win favour with the fairer sex, you're still just a grey old fart to them ;)

P.S. Still not sure about the Colly logic - I'd be gutted to be the next best rider out there, and not picked just to give a lesser rider a chance.

There - have I upset everyone yet? :)

Edited by bikespace

Using the Steve C. logic why would Emma Bristow not be given a ride in the ladies? Maria is very rarely seen on a trials bike and obviously has her sporting heart elsewhere. Emma is up and coming and if she had ridden Ladies National rather than A class this year would have been third to Becky and Donna on a number of occasions. What a chance for her to learn..........

For once, I agree with BS! How's about a "Thanks very much for making sure we hear about it first" to John instead of a gurn about how it's worded?! :rolleyes:

What do you mean "For once"? :o

And just out of interest, was it Kinell being a grey old fart bit that clinched it :D

Edited by bikespace

Ooooh tetchy buggers :D

I wasn't having a go at John, just stating what I thought it looked like and then trying to make the post a bit more light hearted.

Maria Conway might be one of the best lady riders out there but is she at it 100%? I'm pretty sure Katy Sunter has been in the team before, I think she's had problems with her knee in the past but she's always riding the big trials (whupping fat/old/bald blokes :o) all year long but no explanation to why she isn't included.

Like I said "No offence John..."

Cheers :rolleyes:

Using the Steve C. logic why would Emma Bristow not be given a ride in the ladies? Maria is very rarely seen on a trials bike and obviously has her sporting heart elsewhere. Emma is up and coming and if she had ridden Ladies National rather than A class this year would have been third to Becky and Donna on a number of occasions. What a chance for her to learn..........

No names, but some V.I.P.S. in the ladies trials world are not happy about this.

If you repeat the result from the last European round in Italy inc Emma, who came eighth, the Brit's would win.

Why has the Colley logic not applied to the ladies team.

Final one from me on this

You can never please everyone when picking a Team in any sport - just look at the arguments when picking 11 guys to run around with a round ball and kiss each other.

The mens one - is always difficult trying to get a balance between experience / results/ youth etc and trying to take into account results both in Brit Champ and World & UEM - and sometimes when not all the riders are competing on the same stage it muddies the waters. Also remeber the TDN is a Team event - and suddenly minders who would not perhaps be involved with any other rider are suddenly there to help the whole Team - I make no secret of the fact that I wish to see Shaun and James gain from this experince

As far as the Womens Team is concerned - for sure Emma is a name for the future - and Katy will never be discounted - but last years Team came so close - and really deserved to win - I feel they all deserve a chance again.

Maria is riding and is fit - and ( fingers crossed) if all three perform like last year we are in with a shout.

I am not really interested what the VIP's think - it was not so long ago people were saying there was no point sending a Womens Team and it was a waste of time and money , All those who have competed since I have been involved - Maria, Becky, Donna, Rachel Katie and Vicky have done a great deal to change this view - and that is the most important thing.

As I have said - it is not likely we will ever get 100% agreement from everyone - there was certainly critiscism of Mens Team selection on the occassions we won. I suspect Team managers in this weekends ICTT will face similar problems.

My intention quite frankly was not really to debate selection - I do not think it is appropriate for me to do so - but just to announce it. - although of course everyone of you can obviously express opinions.

Perhaps I was wrong to outline the reasoning behind the Mens teams selection - but it did seem worthy of mention considering how well Steve is doing at home and the fact that he has made me eat humble pie in the past

you've made a decision, that a bloody hard thing to do and very easy for the armchairs fans to criticise. the multitude of factors that cause that design to be made can never really be conveyed in text and will always be subject to debate. at least you are in communication unlike the MX community who according to TMX :rolleyes: neglected to tell the 4th man the had been dropped (what a ***** up!)

anyway whoever you take good luck, and congratulations for taking a decision and calming the responsibility (and the flack!!!)