Gear Saver Oil?

coldcake

hi there,

i'm looking for some advice,been running my sherco 290 '03 on belray gear saver sae 80.just bought new oil from supplier and noticed that it was sae75.it seems a bit thinner.what is best? or is there not much diffrence.also can i buy this by the gallon to make it cheaper in the long run.

happy riding.

WARNING! DUDE!

These high VI ratings are not always for this application! There are very different VI ratings, basically you need an oil that is designed to work with the CLUTCH, not the gears, and the heavy gear oils will not do that!

Either but the proper oil from your dealer from a motorcycle oil mfg. like IPONE, REPSOL, MAXIMA, etc. or use something like Dextron III or 10-30 motor oil if you are really cheap. Your Honda or Yam shop has something that works if nothing else! Ask them!

Those thick oils will not work well withyour clutch!

For example, the Maxima 75MTF is a different VI scale than 75-90 hypoid gear lube, the latter being twice as thick ov viscosity!

:rolleyes:

I

Got me qurious so I looked up the BelRay site. Looks as though it should be fine as I was hoping, It IS made for the application!

The thinner the oil, the quicker the clutch action, but the difference should be naught between 75 and 80 i would think.

Cheers,

ps-to confuse you further, Ijust found this on the US Sherco site! Wonder if it applies to Beta, I would think so!

Oil types and levels for the 2006 trials models Paioli front forks

Oil level on right leg: 60mm With forks at bottom Quantity: 370 +/- 4cc Oil level on left leg: 110mm With forks at bottom and without spring Quantity: 385+/- 4 cc Oil type Idemitsu O J RACING TYPE 01 Viscosity at 40

Edited by copemech