How Long Will It Last?

pommietrialsnz

Hi guys,

I've finally got what I wanted, much to the wife's disgust, an 05 Repsol Montesa. It's done 40 hours and is in good condition. My question is, what's it going to last like? The front pipe has been changed to a Mitani one, the front two restrictors are out, and the mapping is set for maximum power. Does this shorten the life of the engine? As I ride at intermediate and probably don't really need all the power, is it worth softening it back down? I really like the bike exactly as it is and am riding better than ever so if the bikes longevity is not really effected by the settings then I'll leave it as it is.

Thanks,

Kevin :beer:

I have a 05 4RT. All restrictors out and a fast-action throttle (which results more rpm than usual. I like the snappy feel). And I've used it for abit of trail-riding, playing on mini-mx tracks etc. No problems.

It has done over 150 hours. Nothing has breaked "by itself", handlebars, mudguards, footpegs etc in crashes. Regular maintenance, oilfilters and airfilters. Washing and lubing. Haven't even needed to adjust the valves. The engine is getting a new piston during the winter, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the reply. I know I sound a bit daft for asking the question but my mechanical abilities are a bit limited and the thought of knackering the bike through my own ignorance was a bit worrying. My previous bike was a 250 pro and I always thought it seemed a bit less well put together than the Mont. Is changing the oils and filter at 15 hours enough? The dealer I bought it from said every 10 hours but the book says every 15.

my mechanical abilities are a bit limited...

My previous bike was a 250 pro and I always thought it seemed a bit less well put together than the Mont.

Interesting how even folks with limited mechanical abilities pick up on that Montesa quality! :)

It`s not the Montesas high quality that he picked up on, it`s the poor quality of the gasser.

:(

• 2 weeks later...
Is changing the oils and filter at 15 hours enough? The dealer I bought it from said every 10 hours but the book says every 15.

Ask yourself this: If the engine goes south and you've changed the oil and filter every 15 hours, how much are you going to wish you had decreased the interval to 10 hours?

To me, changing fluids is cheap insurance.

I am not recommending you do this, but even if you never changed the oil and filter, I would think the chances of a Honda engine screwing up are pretty slim.

What the manuals say is over the top. On my 315 I think it recommended you changed the piston and rings after every 6 trials (or races as the manual called them). I never replaced a piston on any of my 315s and they all sounded as sweet off the engine as the day I got them.

I try and service my 05 4rt after every 10 or so trials/rides. Maybe a bit sooner if I have done a 2 day road based trial etc. As Ferret Flasher said I would expect your 4rt to be running fine with a little routine maintanance for many years to come. Great build quality.

I to had a Gas Gas Pro, and I must admit that it came with a few extras that the Mont didn't, like holes in the crank case that oil leaked out of. Nothing like buying a brand new bike! When I mentioned this to a Gas Gas repesentative at a show he said "only 2 holes! You've got a good one then" Having said that they do appear to be built better now than they were back in 03 when I had mine.