Combatting Rear Wheel Spin...

manx2day

Does anyone have any advice on combatting the rear wheel spinning on an '04 250 Gas Gas??

I've heard that a different size rear sprocket will help but don't know any sizes which will do the job. At the moment there is a 42 teeth sprocket fitted. Also, does the front sprocket need changing and does the chain have to be shortened or lengthened??

Many thanks :)

Changing the gearing won't stop you spinning up the rear wheel.

Best mod to calm the power down is fit the flywheel weight available from GasGas. No loss of power overall but slows throttle response and snooths out any lumpiness on the bottom end with the added bonus that it makes it harder to stall the engine.

putting a flywheel weight will probably do you the most good but as for wheel spin i dont think you can really stop it just learn to find more grip or ride the bike so it doesn`t spin and also lean further over the back end so your weight is onto the rear tyre more, it`ll take you a while to learn to find grip but you`ll gradually get better the more you ride

Thats how gassers ride with the power instantly there just try learning to use your clutch abit more to let out the power abit smoother.

not with the flywheel weight they don't, it is a big improvement for a novice standard rider

Use the highest gear you can and still have enough power. Lower rpm is suposed to produce better grip because the longer pause between power pulses lets the tire regrip. Static friction is harder to overcome than dynamic friction. Another way it was explained is: If a loaded cardboard box is sitting on the floor, it takes more effort to start the box sliding than to keep it sliding.

Use a new tire or reverse the old one so the knob edges are sharper, or you could shave the knobs so the forward side is shorter than the back (griping) side.

Use the highest gear you can and still have enough power. Lower rpm is suposed to produce better grip because the longer pause between power pulses lets the tire regrip. Static friction is harder to overcome than dynamic friction. Another way it was explained is: If a loaded cardboard box is sitting on the floor, it takes more effort to start the box sliding than to keep it sliding.

Use a new tire or reverse the old one so the knob edges are sharper, or you could shave the knobs so the forward side is shorter than the back (griping) side.

Good pysics don but if a higher gear is used and it does start slipping its a much more difficult thing to control, or back off and bring back in. All the aids listed above will help, but there is nothing as good as a practice and getting your weight back. Oh the little matter of throttle control comes into the equation of course.

Gaz, you need a bit more weight over the back wheel :wacko:

Try a few Mac D's and you should get another few pounds to help with the grip issues.

On a serious note mate, I think technique is the key. I always find that riding the clutch, and practising feeding in the power smoothly is te best bet. I don't reckon any specific mods will help on a 250 as they are not the most firey power wise. The tip given by motojojo sounds pretty much how I ride and haven't had any issues.

Give me a shout and we'll go out practising.