New Camera

nigel dabster

I don`t know a lot about cameras but I have used r2w`s camera`s a fair bit now and have been thinking about buying the updated version of his "cheap" camera.

This is the best price I can find too HERE

A lot of the shots on r2w`s page untill recently are from the S5500, and I have yet too see anything but brilliant reveiws for this little gem

I don`t know a lot about cameras but I have used r2w`s camera`s a fair bit now and have been thinking about buying the updated version of his "cheap" camera.

This is the best price I can find too HERE

A lot of the shots on r2w`s page untill recently are from the S5500, and I have yet too see anything but brilliant reveiws for this little gem

Must be good if you've used it and not bent it :wacko:

It has to be a Nikon D50, superb camera - if you can get it with a 18-70 lens that's even better, but the 18-55 is plenty good enough - look at my pictures from Hawkstone in this month's TBM - all with the D50. You know my journo/photo history, so I must be right!!

I recently bought a D50 and now I have set the picture quality to fine and bought some decent memory cards I'm really pleased with it.

I still have my Fuji Finepix as backup, but to be honest the D50s done it all with much better quality results. Only thing I realised after this weekend is that you do need an additional flash to the integrated 'fill in' unit as shots under trees can be dark and my podium shots were disappointing.

I will tell you that I am able to place the Fuji in a small padded bum bag along with a spare set of rechargeables!

It is all relative to size and cost! Some of the compact types work very well also!

Not sure the size of the Nikon, but the cost of replacing it is a factor if I happen to land on it!

The Fuji's are available for under 300US now, which should buy you a camera, memory card, bum bag and batteries for under or near 200 of your quid thingies!

All things to consider, but mostly, I find it all to be a trade off, and yes there are better cameras for more dash.

How much is in your wallet? :P

To answer this question, it would help for everyone to know what your consider to be the strengths and weaknesses of your previous cameras.

Everyone has different priorities in a camera. When I shoot trials, I use a Nikon D200 with a vertical grip holding two batteries, and I carry two lenses with me, along with an SB-800 flash. That works for me, but there are plenty of people who don't want that much equipment.

I must admit that you aroused my quriousity as I have not checked out the latest SLR's in several years.

The place I went to no longer carries the D50, only 70-80 at the lower end.

Looked at the Canon's too! Some a bit smaller in the body.

Nice stuff and gets quite pricey with a good lens!(lenses)

One major factor/obsticle! Wont fit the bum bag! And if I go that big I would feel like a pack mule when riding. And at that cost I would have to buy the insurance if I landed upon it!

Oh well!

I just go back to that piccie that Heath took of Barry with the Fuji! It WORKS!