Fantic Electrics

fantic309

i recently picked up what i've been told is a 91 fantic 309, i would love to ride it but i have no spark. i purchased a new ignition module/coil combo, because it was missing from the bike and was really hoping that is all it would take. unfortunately it still has no spark with the new module. my static and dynamic tests are as follows:

White to Red = 111 ohms and .5 VAC

White to Green = 479 ohms and 76 VAC

White to Ground = .2 ohms

there is also a snubbed off brown wire that has nearly 0 ohms resistance with the white wire. the only other thing is that the module has 2 spots for the green wire to plug into (does it matter which i plug it into, or do i need to have it go to both?) and a yellow wire hanging out of it. any help would be great as i didn't take it apart and can't find a decent wiring diagram.

The white wire is the ground, the green is the power to the CDI/coil and the red is the trigger, the brown is the power for the lights & horn - make sure it isn't shorted to ground, apart from that ignore it.

The yellow wire hanging out of the coil should have a ring terminal on it and be grounded to the frame under one of the coil mounting bolts, if it isn't you wont get a spark.

The two green tabs on the coil are linked inside, the second one is to connect a kill switch (other side of the switch to ground).

The readings sound OK except for the 76V, are you sure it isn't 7.6V? as I think it should be 12v with the engine running, having said that i've never had a 309 and what I have said is generic Fantic advice. I would wire it up as above and try it, if it doesn't work then ring Bill Pye - very helpful, number usually in T&MX or search this forum.

Wiring diagram in this post.

Edited by Grib