New Sherco 250 0r 290?

beta rider

I had a 06 Sherco 290 and the thing that I did really liked about the bike was the power was very smooth and revved out nicely....... Of all the bikes I have ridden the 290 Sherco has the power that I like the best.......

Agree completely with these 2 comments . I had an 03 290 then an 05 4T then an 06 290 and the 06 is a lovely machine especially the new suspension set up. I have ridden all the other recent bikes but for me, the Sherco was my favourite. I even rode Barrys Beta over the Welsh hills when he hurt his finger and the difference between the 2 bikes is significant.

Best thing to do is just borrow one and have an hour on it and see for yourself :thumbup:

I even rode Barrys Beta over the Welsh hills when he hurt his finger and the difference between the 2 bikes is significant.

I will totally agree with that, that is why I now have a Beta again. Make sure you ride one first! If you like it then great :thumbup:

I had a REV-3 250 and switched to an '06 Sherco 2.9 - I would say that the pick of a bike has as much to do with what's going on between your ears AND the type of terrain you normally ride. If my local trials scene was made up of riding in wet sloppy creeks, mud, limited traction, etc. I might be tempted to stay BETA (or a 2 stroke Montesa). If the events were dry-ish with some big 'ups', rocky stream beds, or terrain that required slightly more advanced technique than just making uphill or downhill turns on dirt slopes - the Sherco or GasGas fits the bill.

My riding areas are dryer with bigger rocks / steps and I was becoming uphappy with the slower power delivery of the Beta but mainly I was very unhappy with the lower ground clearance the Beta has. It seemed I was always dragging the skid plate or bashing the pegs into obstacles. Lofting the front end on a Beta requires more effort because it carrys more weight up front - which is good if you're trying to turn on dirt slopes. Like they say, 'nothing turns like a Beta' (except maybe a Scorpa - but we don't mention them...)

Yes, the big Sherco has power everywhere, nice and tractable down low and you'd better be hanging on tight when you yank the loud handle - because its taking off - NOW!

Bottom line: I really, REALLY like it - its abrupt if you're careless (use it to my advantage now), it turns well, it carries itself higher so it doesn't drag everything everywhere - but most of all, I feel that my riding level has improved SIGNIFICANTLY due to this machine. In my opinion, Beta would have to make some generational changes to the "REV" line before I would consider another.

Clark have a go on the 07 Beta that Raymond is bringing back after the October Test. I have it in my garage now. Frame is changed along with alot of other things.

As Clark said the 290 has lots of power, if you get in a jam just open it up it'll go, just hang on.

Either 250 or the 290 has enough power it's just how you use it. You can also play with the white (fast) or black (slow) throttle tubes to help you tune the power of the bike you chose. Either bike is a good one.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a look at the spares for the 07 Sherco's and there are four different base gasket's listed. The standard one and three alternatives with various thicknesses. Looks like there will be a lot of scope for softening the power with these options.

http://ds1.downloadtech.net/cn1052/spare_p...parebook_07.pdf

Edited by John.B

Hard to equate them all, but I did ride a much new '06 beta 270 and it seemed very mild on my brief ride. The 2.9 is smooth but has MUCHO power. Cannot testify to the 280 gasser, but the 300 is a powerhouse!

I think all the 250's are much more managable probably, I know the 2.5 Sherco is.

You just need to get out and compare. :thumbup:

Edited by copemech