From 250 To 300

manx2day

it all depends on personell preferences but i would stay with the 250 i had a go on a 300 and found it running away with me and trying to pull my arms out of the sockets, but it all depends on what you want from your bike and how good a rider you are i know a top class rider (wont name him) who rides GASGAS and even he says that the 300 is too powerful for him and prefers the softer power delivery of the 250.

but see if you can get a test ride and see for yourself

Funnily enough I went from a 250 to a 300 a month ago. The 300 was like a rocket in comparison to start with but I find it ok now. I think i ride them both about the same, the extra power is useful at times as you can pull higher gears and actually ride slower. The down side is its more tiring to ride.

This is merely an observation, and I could be way wrong.

It seems as though over in Europe the riders tend to like the 250cc machines over the 270 and 300, and it is the exact opposite here in the states.

The previous statement is based solely on what I have read on trials central and again with the disclaimer I could be wrong.

If this is true, why? Do the Europeon riders in general prefer technique over power and the US riders like the power?

Sorry to kinda hijack the thread.

I agree with PHB the best thing to do is see if you can get a test ride on a 300. I think that your riding style would have alot to do with it to. For example: do you ride smooth and fluid through the section without stopping, or do you stop, gauge the obstacle and blast over it and stop on the other side gauge the next obstacle and then ggggoooooooo!!! I think the latter of the two styles needs higher power output in a minimum amount of time. Or there's my style of riding, "I can't ride over that" Biff'sgasgas replies "yes you can." I reply "oh look at the time I best be going."

From what I have seen of trials in the USA on this site and talking to some americans at the SSDT I think the US terrain has more traction so you tend to have bigger obstacles. Loads of power is ok if theres loads of grip but no good for tight sections on slippy surfaces. Over here throttle control is key as you need just enough speed to get grip, to much speed / power and you overshoot the obstacle or spin the back wheel.

just my thoughts anyway

gaz

As you my have noticed I have just done exactly that - 250 to 300. Still not sure t the moment s to be honest I haven't been out in enugh events yet. However in bottom gear it feels similar, just pulls stronger and a there is a bit more there than the 250. In other gears it is even more so!

I'll let you have a go at the next trial.

Mine has had the inition switch thingy taken off it.....you know that button which supposedly slows it down slightly if the conditions are wet or slippy. I think I will put it back on and see if there is a difference.