Water Pump Leak And Damage

mil

Having noticed a small jet of water leaking out of the water pump cover I went about draining the fluid and removing the water pump cover. I was suprised to find that the cavity had damage to it- it looks like the effect of a porous casting. the rubber gasket isn;t able to seal it properly, and I am not sure how best to repair it! I have bodged it back together with another gasket fashioned from inner tube and it does hold water now, but the flaking inside will still occur.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is there a suitbale sealant that would withstand this high temps?

Many thanks

Mil

you mean like this?

IMAG0145.jpg

I beleive it`s a fairly common problem on certain Beta`s apparently something too do with the magnesium content in a few castings there has been topics on this before but just had a search around and can`t find them :thumbup:

Anyway the one in the picture is off a 03 rev 3 270 (not mine) and was rebuilt using chemical metal for a short term bodge and even though he has a new casing now I think it`s still on there holding strong!

A good way too avoid this as has been said in the previous lost topics is too frequently change the coolant as after a period of time it looses it`s anti-corrosive properties and therfor becomes corrosive as such

Thanks for your reply- fortunately it's not as bad as that! Its chipping off in the corners and flaking, but I guess it would lead to that.

I was thinking of using the dremel to smooth it back and then add some sealant aorund the outside to stop any further leaks? Would the metal flake off at all- as it could block the system I guess if it did?

Do you know costings of a new casing?

Many thanks

Mil

Thats the puppy- the photo is a spitting image of mine. Interestingly I tried Alradite to begin with but it never set...and I mixed it up properly too! I'll strip back again and try this.

Many thanks for your help.

Mil

i have an 04 and it did the same took it back they said to change coolant often which i did then about 3 months later noticed the bike was running realy hot at a trial so checked coolant which was down (it was june) filled up and set off again when i noticed a jet of water coming out of the front of the casing had to replace the whole thing as the rot had gotten so bad