Forks Go Bang!

neo

HI Gents,

I have an 02 TXT 70 Rookie here. And I have recently changed the fork oil.

The 04 Rookie manual, I have, specified w5, 310cc per leg. So that's what I did.

But when I pull a steep wheelie, there is a loud clap as the bike lifts up and the the forks seem to "Top-out" (if you know what I mean). :beer:

Any ideas on what I could have done wrong?

There is no oil leaking and the bolts at the bottom of the legs a really tight.

Best of balance.

Neo

Thanks for your reply Betarev3,

I've unscrewed both fork caps but they are connected OK at the base of the forks. I established this by trying to pull both spring/damping units out of the tubes.

I'm still a bit worried about 310cc because it came out of the 04 manual???...maybe more oil is needed?

Any other ideas guys?

Best of balance.

Neo

i had the same problem with my beta, the trick is put the bike on a stand so the front wheel is barely touching the ground, pull both caps off, pull the drain plugs, grab the front wheel and compress the forks a few times to make sure they are drained, put the plugs back in, find a block of wood or some thing to put under the front wheel so the forks are up as high as they go, fill the forks with the new oil and hold the front tire up remove the block and slowly let the wheel down, (work it up and down while you let it down, but 310cc sounds right, that all may not fit when the forks are compressed, once you work them down to fully extended ad the rest and cap them off and there you go!!!! it's the long hard way but it worked for me, i had the exact problem, what it is, air gets trapped in the oil and creates a false bottom, just like any hydraulics, they need bled, hope this helps out.............................JOHN

yes, sounds like like air pockets in the cartridge. Have you pulled the rod, during the fill up, up and down, and felt restriction all the way? Did you hold the forks up side down a moment before assembly? Just leave it and bounce it a bit, cld be solved that way.

This is embarrassing :angry: but I used a large syringe to put in the oil.

It must have been too early in the morning for me , because I put in only 31cc's of oil, instead of 310cc. :D

But I'm sure the information you guys have given me will be useful in the future.

Best of balance.

Neo