2004 290

scoobie

Scoob

I'm with the others here, you shouldn't have drilled and fitted a rim lock. Anyway it sounds like you're up and running again.

For anyone else looking at this thread the obvious error here is not understanding the rim/tyre combination. I've used tubes in tubeless tyres a few times without problem. The reason you don't need rim locks is the same reason you dont need them when no tube is used. i.e. the tubeless tyre doesn't slip on the rim. Why anyone would think the tyre/rim would work differently with or without a tube is beyond me.

I had a leaking rim tape last year and solved it with a new one heavily coated in silicone compound. If the tape on its own didn't seal the silicone just made sure the thing didn't leak. Then on back on with the tubeless. As has been said above a tubeless repair is easy and can be done in seconds with the wheel still on the bike on most occations.

Hi,

Remember I'm new to trials bikes after enduro/trail machines where if you use a tube or mousse then you use a rimlock or two. I've never used a tubeless tyre on a bike before so automatically thought if I put a tube in I'd need a rimlock - I assumed that a tubeless tyre could occassionally still spin on the rim, but without a tube in it wouldn't be a problem as it wouldn't rip the valve out.

With this wheel I had no plans to use it 'tubeless' again anyway as I've got the other rear.

Cheers,