Your First Trials Event

jaylael

Not my first event, not even an event.

a couple years agoish, the day prior to our clubs event we were doing set up. Of course the most important part of set up is riding the sections in. I got stupid I mean challenged myself with the class higher than my current class line. This was towards the end of the day just before heading home, I wanted to get in "one last ride", I had just got off the phone with the wifey and was in a rush. Boy, I can be stupid. The line was over a cement tube and then 90 degree left. After the left there was a 55 gallon drum on it's side. My front tire was pushed against the drum and I had dabbed. I was stopped, well just put foot back on peg, give gas, do all the right leg motions and get the skid plate to touch the drum and ever so gently fall to the right. I tried to step off the bike and ended up twisting my ankle pretty bad. OK big tough guy that I am first thing I did was scream like a little girl! After that my first thought was "There goes the season" next was "What do I tell the wife?" The club members are great 2 of them helped me to my truck and some how my bike and gear were magically loaded into my truck. My wife came to pick me up and Biff (great guy by the way thanks again) drove my truck. I really don't like remembering the screaming like a girl part. But trials riders are always helpful when someone is injured.

Edited by ZIPPY

First time I met Doug Flaugh, was introduced by our mutual friend Doug McIntosh. Doug Flaugh had come out too see a trials,

Doug, Alan,, Alan Doug,,, Hi Doug, could you take me to the hospital please..................... I broke my ankle.

Unfortunately, although a GREAT friend, one of those guys you can depend on for anything, Doug and I spent FAR too much time together in Emergency rooms over the next several years.

Of course he then moved to California, and he took up.... SKYDIVING

First something like month or so, two failed chute emergency rides and one airplane crash...... I believe there was also a dislocated shoulder while exiting the aircraft that he had to put back in himself, so that he could reach the rip cord.

Doug is a fun guy to be around...

• 1 month later...

My first event was Early 1984 i was 10 but could barely touch the ground from my honda tl 125. My dad had to start the bike about 40 times or so and half way though the event he puked from exhaustion. I asked him if i could quit for just this one event and he said he was about 30 seconds from offering me 20 bucks to quit.

Every year i do something stupid but last year zippy and i and some other guys were practicing out at our property in flint... I was fooling around out by the creek when i thought hmmm i can splatter this. So i start going back and forth just working on the timing. After about the 6th time here comes my roommate mitchell hey check this out... he comes and watches me... I am suggesting that he try... So zippy shows up and i say hey check this out.... well i landed totally wrong. I dont know how it really happened but i got all tripped up on the bike and ended up belly flopping into the creek. Much applause followed. 6 months prior i had also won the life preserver award for doing basically the same thing in a TI event down in Amsterdam Ohio.

--Biff

Ps... Zippy when you broke your ankle and i was driving your truck i was going to acutally peel off and take it to mexico but i soon realized how much of a p.o.s. it was and decided to stick with the orginal plan.

Ps... Zippy when you broke your ankle and i was driving your truck i was going to acutally peel off and take it to mexico but i soon realized how much of a p.o.s. it was and decided to stick with the orginal plan

Yea thanks, that's why I am stuck with the dang thing and can't get a new one. :D

That water landing was HILARIOUS!!!