Acu Blunder!

kinell

PM'd you with the headers - might be easier to ring the ACU and ask to speak to Emma :D

Mail them to me too please - along with the original email. There is a certain naivety exists within Trials when it comes to Net etiquette, but as people become more and more protective of their email addresses there is a potential DPA issue here and as an avid hater of spam, if it didn't come from the ACU and they didn't sanction it then how did this third party get hold of your email addresses?

Having studied the headers, it is clear that the email did originate from the ACU. However, I don't believe "spamming" was the intention. An error was obviously made where the sender used "cc" to send the email instead of "bcc" (blind carbon copy where you don't get to see who else the email has been sent to) but apart from that, it's nothing sinister. It's purely notifying members of a discount deal that has been set up - okay it's not particularly relevant to Trials, but it's better it came from them than them selling your details to third parties.

I'm not a member so don't know, but do they have an opt-in/opt-out policy for "junk mail"? If not, they need one to prevent this kind of thing happening again.

I know from the email address that the list could not have been released by anyone but the acu. For instance the address I used would be acu@mydomain.com so that i can track where SPAM originates from.

Nobody else would have it. Bit poor really. Not too bothered about the SPAM, but showing everybodys email address instead of masking them is all a bit amateur.

Edited by bikespace

OK I've started asking - The ACU are banned by National Council and/or the Directors from selling the membership database, but if they are notifying you of membership benefits then they haven't broken that imposition

what it does raise is the members haven't been asked the degree of email notification they would like to receive from the ACU, something I'll chase up