250cc Age Limitations

vaughan

Im not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question but here goes,

How young can you be to ride a 250cc Trials bike within the ACU rules,

If a 16/17 year old enters as a Youth 'A' he / She must ride a 125cc,

However the rule book Page 157 at the bottom of the page states :

"RIDERS AGE

a) Adult riders : A Rider must be at least 16 years of age to participate as an Adult."

So in effect a 16 year old as long as he enters as a "Novice" for example can ride a 250cc.

Can anyone clear this up.

Cheers,

Vaughan.

Hi Vaughan.

Will try to clear this up for you quickly.

As you say - it is possible for a rider over 16 to ride as an Adult or Youth - and actually swop back and fro for different trials ( except British Solo Champ)

This is really because we have no clear cut off date for a Youth - so that he gets thrown out of a particuloar Youth Champ he may be contesting on his 16th birthday - so he can actually ride as a Youth until the end of the calander year he reaches 17.

So - Any Youth riding in a Youth class must adhere to all th Youth rules re - capacity and which Class Youth they are as per book.

If they have passed 16 - they may choose to ride as an adult - and if they are riding as an adult - the Youth capacity class ( 125) would not have to apply.

So Youth A - max 125c

If same rider is over 16 and chooses to enter as an adult - yes they can ride a 250

Hi Vaughan.

Will try to clear this up for you quickly.

As you say - it is possible for a rider over 16 to ride as an Adult or Youth - and actually swop back and fro for different trials ( except British Solo Champ)

This is really because we have no clear cut off date for a Youth - so that he gets thrown out of a particuloar Youth Champ he may be contesting on his 16th birthday - so he can actually ride as a Youth until the end of the calander year he reaches 17.

So - Any Youth riding in a Youth class must adhere to all th Youth rules re - capacity and which Class Youth they are as per book.

If they have passed 16 - they may choose to ride as an adult - and if they are riding as an adult - the Youth capacity class ( 125) would not have to apply.

So Youth A - max 125c

If same rider is over 16 and chooses to enter as an adult - yes they can ride a 250

Thankyou John for clearing that up,

Regards,

Vaughan.

John, this has been debated frequently among parents of riders in the 16 year old bracket, my understanding was that a 16/17 year old would still have to ride a 125 even as an adult. My reason for believing this is due to the very last sentence of TSR1 ' The rider must always comply with the maximum capacity class for their actual age.'

Surely this is the reason many of our top youth 17 year olds are still riding 125s at events like the Scott and the Scottish!

John, this has been debated frequently among parents of riders in the 16 year old bracket, my understanding was that a 16/17 year old would still have to ride a 125 even as an adult. My reason for believing this is due to the very last sentence of TSR1 ' The rider must always comply with the maximum capacity class for their actual age.'

Surely this is the reason many of our top youth 17 year olds are still riding 125s at events like the Scott and the Scottish!

I'd hazard a guess that the rule you're talking about is in place particularly for riders who are upgraded, so if they are upgraded from C to B class for instance it doesn't give them the right to ride a bigger bike. They still have to adhere to the age group rule.

I think the age group rule for the 125's only applies to youth trials so it becomes invalid for an adult trial.

I suspect the reason for riders on 125's in the Scott and Scottish is that they are learners??? Dunno though. That could be a load of tosh :)

No doubt John will come back with the decent answer, but thought I'd join in while we wait ;)

I must say that I find this all a bit confusing. If a Youth rider can ride as a youth upto the end of the calender year in which they are 17, then surely they can't ride as an adult as soon as they turn 16?

When we run club trials, I would be most reluctant to let any rider under 17 enter on a bike over 125cc. Isn't that the whole point of the rule?

Any rider under 18, even if riding as an adult must have a guardians signature on the entry form. SO how can a 16 year old ride as an adult on any size machine?

I know what you mean - I didn't say I quite understand the logic :) just that I "think" I understand the rules.

I think to make sense of it you have to take the two (adult and youth) totally separately. There is a brief period where you are eligible for both, and if you ride youth you get one set of rules, but if you ride adult you ride another set of rules.

The parent guardian signing for the child is I'm presuming, not something that the ACU has any control over and is another separate issue. Either insurance dictated, law dictated or both.

There.....simplified :o You didn't used to be a school teacher by any chance? They used to say that, let me simplify it for you...

P.S. How come at aged 16 I'm allowed to have sex, but at nearly 40 you'd think it was illegal as far as my missus is concerned?

Don't answer that teach! :wall:

Edited by bikespace

There.....simplified :o You didn't used to be a school teacher by any chance? They used to say that, let me simplify it for you...

P.S. How come at aged 16 I'm allowed to have sex, but at nearly 40 you'd think it was illegal as far as my missus is concerned?

Don't answer that teach! :wall:

You're over 40 and still thinking about it!!?!??!

Thanks Everyone for clearing my question on How old do you have to be to ride a 250cc,

My reason for asking is that I have a Son whis is 16 he is 5'10" and 11stone he rides a 250cc Scorpa in local Clubman class events,

He rides for the love of it not for Points or Cups, I enter him as an adult Novice.

I just wanted to make sure I was not breaking the rules as I have had a few comments from People concerned about the legality of him riding a 250 and only being 16.

Thanks again Vaughan.