04 315r

johnnyboxer

I wanted to adjust the tickover on my bike...........ie turn it up a bit.

However after turning the throttle stop screw (tickover adjust as I saw it) I found that no amount of twiddling will turn it up............either all the way in/out.........in the middle.

Now it's worse and will not tickover on idle.................HELP

Are these Dell Orto's more finicky than a Jap carb.............all previous experience is on Keihin/Mikuni on Jap bikes and they seem to do what it says in the manual..............however the Dell Orto doesn't ???

JB

Well...the thing you were turning did something! B)

I haven't gotten my hands on an '04 Montesa yet, but chances are, if you were turning a screw on the carb way in and out without some fairly dramatic results, it was not the throttle stop screw.

In general, the throttle stop screw is the larger of the 2 and can be turned with your fingers.

If you turned the mixture screw and put it way out, start at 2 turns out and adjust it so you get the highest, most even idle. If it goes too high, you'll need to turn out the throttle screw.

You will need to occasionally rev the motor to keep it clean, and you will need to listen very carefully. The range of adjustment is quite small.

Make all adjustments with a new plug and engine at operating temp.

The fuel screw - the smallest of the two, nearest the engine should be about 3 1/2 turns out from fully seated. (the best place to start on an 04 Monty)

The 'tick over' throttle stop screw is the one to the right with the knurling so that you can adjust it by hand, is then adjusted to get it right where you want it.

If you still haven't got any tickover after this - take the carb off and clean it.