Where Can I Get 4mm Brake Lining From ?

gasgas249uk

There is no chance of me getting new shoes for my Merlin so i'm going to have to reline them.

The most cost effective solution is for me to reline them.

Does anyone know where i can get 4mm lining from and whats the best glue available to Joe Blogs to stick it on.

Cheers :thumbup:

THERES A COMPANY SOMEWHERE ON THE M62 CORRIDOR WHO IF YOU SEND THEM YOUR SHOES WILL FIT LININGS OF WHATEVER THICKNESS YOU WANT. TURNAROUND IS ABOUT 72 HOURS THEY ADVERTISE IN THE CLASSIC BIKE MAGS, SORRY I CANT REMEMBER THIER NAME AT THIS TIME OF NIGHT

Thank you for responding.

What a great link . Ive contacted Saftek and they are getting me a price for 2 metres 25mm width 4mm.

Im planning on attaching it myself. Although linings do have a hard time , the height of the material should mean theres not a lot of twisting force on it and therefore theres more chance of it staying put.

A mate of mine who rides nationals and gets good results cuts his own brake pads out of lining and sticks them on himself. Ill have to ensure the lining sticks down evenly.I'll find out what glue he used.

Cheers again :thumbup:

those are the fellows i was looking for last night,

gasgas it's not worth the effort or the time, just post these lads your shoes and you get new ones back in a couple of days with the bonus that you have some comeback if they dont work

That's good advice. I know saftek as I deal with them a lot with work. We reline large brake shoes up to 12 feet long a 18inches wide and discs etc. up to 7ft diameter and the only proper way to ensure a good job is to have them bonded on and then baked in an oven. Not doing this would allow water and dampness getting between lining and shoe and it would come away sooner or later. Bonding them properly would prevent this. It is easier to attach lining to old brake pads as you mentioned as they could be clamped really tight in a vice, once glued, but you need correct size bands and clamps to do this on a pair of shoes.