315 Carb Setup

gasgasssser

Can anybodt tell me the pilot/main jet sizes for a 2000 315?.Also mixture screw setting and needle clip position.

Thanks in advance.

If its any help,the bike has the std carb fitted.I believe montesa changed it around 2001/2002 because it was giving problems??

Hi there,

Noticed you didn't get too many answers!

I've not worked on any 315 Mont's, but the 26 PHBL DellOrto carbs are pretty universally set up. Going from Gasser experioence just as a guide, approx 30 pilot, D36 needle, 2nd clip off bottom, 270K emulsion tube (needle jet), 115 main, 60 throttle slide. Pilot screw out 3.5 full turns.

Bye, PeterB.

Thanks,i`ll give those seetinga a try.Does the mixture go leaner as the mixture screw comes out?

Its my mates bike.He`s been having tick over problems and general unresponsiveness.The mixture screw was only one turn out,could this be causing the sooty plug??

Cheers.

Hi there,

If the carb is a PHBL, the pilot screw works on the fuel so turning this out richens the mixture, usually 3.5 turns as a starting point. The pilot adjusting screw would then be located closer toward the cylinder.

If the carb is a PHBH, the pilot screw works on the air and turning this in richens the mixture, usually 1 to 1.5 turns out. The pilot screw is in this case, located toward the rear of the carb.

Sooty plug indicates too much fuel or oil. Should be a light brown colour at the electrodes. Check fuel/oil ratio, I use 50:1 with a mineral oil. Other problem may be with the carb flooding - check float height by holding carb upside down and check to see the float levers are parallel with the carb body. (Once the floats and bowl have been removed). Filter clean? Fuel valve not have any dirt on the seal? Worse case scenario may be clutch side crank seal worn letting oil into crankcase, but not terribly likely.

These bikes had restricters in the exhaust and I think the air box - would imagine they have been removed by now. Worth a look.

Can you let me know what type carb it is (stamped on the body) and all of the jets/needle.

Bye, PeterB.

slide - #4.5

needle x19

starter jet #100

main #135

air bleed #46

slow jet #46

all taken from a 2001 owners manual which is correct for 2000 / 2001 bike.

Edited by PERCE

• 16 years later...
On 6/17/2007 at 7:25 PM, perce said:

slide - #4.5

needle x19

starter jet #100

main #135

air bleed #46

slow jet #46

all taken from a 2001 owners manual which is correct for 2000 / 2001 bike.

I picked a Honda RTL250RF two days back. It had been running lean, so removed the carb to find the floats fitted upside down. This may have pressed the float tongue and now it is flooding. Please let me know how what the fuel level in the float should be.

As you said, the Main jet is 135 and the pilot is 46 in my bike too.

Vivek 

Chennai, India