Sherco 80

alan bechard

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay Alan, you proved :D you could ride well on a 125 up at Cartersville, but please give these little bikes a break! I know you've lost a bunch of weight this year but punishing :D an 80 like that is just too much!!!!!

I couldn't help myself, hope this thread is for a bigger bike for Dean. :D

Since y'all call Christina's 125 "Pizza Bike" what do you call mine?

Enjoyed your event!

Frank

Yep, I am out fishing for information.

Christina's bike started being called the Pizza bike when Ishy rode it in the SSDT. Someone correct me, but I think they called it that because surely nobody would ride one of those little things in the SSDT, he must just be out there delivering pizza's. (Andy, Ishy, feel free to throw the true story in here!)

Somebody could look around for me and see if they see Michelin tires in that 17" size over there in Europe. I know they have been made in the past, Brian just got an Amigo that had one on it.

I am also thinking of doing a couple of Bechard Mod's to one when I get one, but would like to get some real world insight from folks riding them before I start changing stuff.

• 1 month later...

Is there no rules in the USA about size of machines for certain age groups?

I ask this because as far as I know the Sherco 80 isn't an 80 it is 100cc. It will not be eligable for "c" class use in the UK.

We were going to get one but got fed up of waiting and bought a REV50 instead. The UK version has the 125 frame but the small wheels. We did see one being used to compete but it was a little unwieldy. The weight and size of the frame made it difficult for the lad using it to keep control. Might be better for larger kids tho. Espcially as we were told that the larger wheels could be fitted.

Alan,

I rode the one that Ryan had last year, has good torque compared to most other minis. It is NEARLY a full sized bike though and I can't remember how big your boy is. I think the forks are a bit shorter than the full size bikes too, making it sit lower along with the smaller wheels.

The Rev 80 is nice too and is a few pounds lighter with full size wheels as I recall.

I am only sure about one thing, they are both expensive!

Do I recall Tony and Laura B. having a Sherco 80 for sale?

What was Bo Ibsen riding at the YN, he had a Sherco 80 last year and his bikes are usually for sale at the end of season.

Cheers, :hyper:

M.C.

If your daughter is riding the pizza bike well, get her another and stick the 80 jug and piston in the pizza bike for the lad, saying a 80 can be changed up to a 125 full size bike when the rider is bigger is a waste of $.

The beta 50 and 80's are nice little bikes but they need to put more flywheel on the little motors, too much on the top end to get anything out of them.

The Sherco 50 needs the wheels of the Beta 50, anybody tried to see if they would fit ?

We talked about it, but he needs the lower height of the 80. All concerns of tire quality, wheelbase, ground clearance aside, he is still only 8 and about 70 lbs.

Christina is doing great on your old bike, and is very proud to ride it. She ended up second overall in the Line 2 in the Womens open, and she won the Saturday event.

I think shorter swingarm and softer suspension is in store for Dean's 80 shortly after reciept.

It will be nice to have commanality of spares when we get it!

Anything special to consider on bar width for kids?????

How do you get feedback on suspension setup without the rider understanding the concept? How do you watch from the side and tell if I have too much or not enough damping?

You think I should try looping the rear brake hose (wont that be fun to bleed) or just make a new shorter one? Go to a -2 or stay at a -3?????

Where could I take weight off a Sherco???

Anybody seen a 420 or 428 countershaft sprocket to fit a Sherco motor?

Anyone ever try that rubber treatment that the drag racers or the go cart guys use on their tires??? Did it have a lasting effect???

Would it help the Cheng Shin tires if I cut all the knobs in half?

Is it the sidewalls or the knobs or that they are not radials that make the Cheng shin's not compare, or all of the above?

Anyone done anything with standard levers for small hands? Or is there plenty of adjustment? Would the Shorties or the regular levers be better?

How do I convince my wife I have not totally lost my mind and that is why I am buying this bike?????????

ALAN,

First you have to convince us that you are not crazy! If you try to modify all that stuff it won't work!

As a Sherco rider I can appreciate your concern about commonality BUT I believe that with his size he would be better off with the Beta 80. It has a better motor than the Gas Gas 70 and pretty good torque although a bit more flywheel wouldnt hurt as Ishy suggested but that is just one thing, not re-designing the bike.

There were TWO in this months Trials Comp! At decent prices too!

Mark

:hyper:

Well, aside from the Crazy part,,,,,,,

Got to go Blue. My kids would disown me.

I think the 80 is good the way it is, it has some faults, as all the bikes do, but I think watching them in the YN you could see they were competitive.

Part of my problem is I like to Tinker, I mean, Cuss in the shop.

Bike should be here in a week or two and it will be interesting to see how he does.

I think I can get the mods too work, just a little tougher when it comes to suspension set up without much rider input. Just have to see how it comes out.

, he is still only 8 and about 70 lbs.

Al, this is the same age and weight as my kid, the size and weight of Trevor on the sherco 50, is about equal. He is confident riding sticking his leg out when he's on top of a little log or climb, he must of seen it done and thinks it's cool.

His mate has a bigger bike and Trevor is asking me for a bigger one, NO way is he getting more than 50% of the potential of his little Sherco, I think another year on this before he is too big or the bike can't take it.

I can't see putting them on a bike that is close to twice thier weight doing much for them.

I think Dean is ready now.

We need the clutch to further develop technique.

He rides the 50 really well, and with great confidence, and I am aware, concerned about the weight issue, but really feel it is the right move.

I think Dean has about reached the potential of the 50, there is probably some more room to go, but I believe I am making the right choice.

I think my picture is too large to post, but I will try and grab some from home and size them.

I just have to add...little Dean Bechard was easily cleaning an 18" log that was raised at least a foot off the ground.

He's some rider.

Al was agonizing over this decision for days, but I agree with him that he's making the right choice.

I think that doing away with the centrifugal clutch and having Dean's right wrist more solidly connected to his rear wheel will do wonders for his riding.

He's ready.