03 Pro

hutchph998

I pick up a new 03 Pro tomorrow haveing px'd a road bike[long story] but the last time I road was nearly 4 yrs ago and can't believe how technology has changed.I need some really basic advice on pre-mix the dealer I'm useing stocks Motul and has two types on offer 600 & 800 is one or the other prefered and is 80:1 the best mix for running period.Also how many hours running time before I change the gearbox oil,400 cc seems to be the correct amount with 10/30w any comments?This stuff is probaly in the handbook but I'm buying in France and from experience things get lost in translation[like my mind, frequently].

Went to watch my first French trial down in the Pyrennes a couple of Sundays ago and thought hey "I could do that....again" at your age the missus said.

Paul

I personally run the 600 2T in mine at 80:1. I don't think the 800 is warranted, as it is designed for use in high rpm motors under high loads and heat...not exactly our conditions. In fact, I've even considered trying Motul's "scooter" oil, perhaps more applicable to the application...lower rpms, lower temps, etc <shrug>

Change the gear oil after the first ride, as it allows the "wear in" debris to be flushed out. After that, to each his own, but I beleive in changing mine very frequently. I run only ATF in my bikes, but change it after every other ride. Oil stays clean, any little filings, etc are flushed out, and all clutch debris (from normal running) gets removed...the BEST oil is clean oil :D

Thanks for the response JTT,I bourght the 600 pre-mix so will maybe try the scooter mix next time for comparo,which brand of ATF do you use out of curiosity?I'm going with the Motul 2T gear box for the first couple of changes but clean oil is my routine in the road bike too.They didn't give me a hand book yet with the bike any tips on base setting for suspension would be helpfull after I've stripped it down and glued me nuts,so to speak.

Paul

Paul, I use Type F ATF myself, any brand will do really, as I change it so frequently that it's not a real problem. Apparently you can also run Dextron 3 stuff as well without any problems.

As far as suspension goes, it's a pretty personal thing, but the stock settings are usually somewhere in the middle of the range and work well as a starting point.

If you look in the "tech articles" section of this forum, there is an article on suspension setup I beleive which might give you some more insight

HERE

i presume that is ok ..

Yup, in fact is the recommended fluid. I ran synthetic ATF in my 2002 without any problems, although this latest bulletin suggests not to. Here's a clip from that bulletin (Rising Sun Imports):

"Transmission oil:

Never use synthetic oil in the transmission~clutch. The synthetic oils are

• 3 weeks later...

this dexron atf stuff ; i used to run normal atf in my road race bike and was very good but someone recommended pj1 clutch saver for the pro and it is better than the ipone i was using less drag etc , is the dexron that much better and whats the situation with using it after pj1 do i have to flush the box ? :(