Suspension Setting

batunball

Hi can anybody tell me the best supension setting on a monty4rt thanks

Have a look see at your manual. In the Specs you will find what Montesa think is the best initial settings.

If your "average" & ride average in average sections then your prob done, if not at least factory settings will make a good starting point.

HTH

Hi can anybody tell me the best supension setting on a monty4rt thanks

Have a look see at your manual. In the Specs you will find what Montesa think is the best initial settings.

If your "average" & ride average in average sections then your prob done, if not at least factory settings will make a good starting point.

HTH

Thanks for that i am a beginner. Ikeep trying to hop the back end around to get a better line tried suspension setting .

Or is there a technique to it if so can you tell me thanks

If you really are a beginner like me, you shouldnt worry too much about hopping your rear. Learn to turn the bike first with minimum circle. This might sound easy but its all about technic and understanding what is the best way to do it. I tried also to work my rear hopping, until I really realised that you need to do things step by step. I had the chance to be part of a training group where we had a real pro trainer. He really got into this basic trial thing and learned the technique to do it. You need to loosen your bike from your knees, lift your outside elbow and knee and try to tilt your bike a lot. For me it sounded unlogical. Why to turn the bike so that tires will not have all the grip it would with keeping it horisontal? Well... you will see that its turning much better and amazingly, keeping the grip even more.

I also believe that its nice to learn back hopping etc. in a while, but lets be realistic. You might compete or not, but when you have a tight situation and you should turn NOW and not after you are ready, what would you do? Wait for the best balance and the chance to hop your rear or do the bacis turning with best possible turning technique? Before you have basic actions in your head like an automatic movement, dont try to jump to another level and think that as you know how to do a back flip, it will overrun good turning technique.

I suck, but as long as I understand that without being able to do the very basic movements, there is no way to jump to more complicated issues!

I've just posted in the General Talk section on the very subject....

Rear sag.

After extensive research i have opted for 7.5 cms (3 inches) of static rear sag.

I'd been driving around with WAY too much sag and having rode the new and improved bike i cant get over how much better it handles.

I also upped the compression a notch at the front and the front defo doesnt dive as much dropping off rocks.

Defo worth playing around (2 inches rear 3 at back is what i now have and im happy that im not going to need to fiddle anymore).

The rebound and compression setting are more of a black art to a novice like me - but as i said, one click at the top has made the front forks less likey to bottom out over drops.... but i'd say only do one click at a time with these or you might get yourself in knots (whereas preload i basically reduced the sag by half in one spanner session :( )