Fitness

A weightlifting coach once told me that there was an old lumberjack trick for toughening up hands.......urinate on them. Supposedly, the acid in the urine would have some toughening effect on skin. I considered but never tried this "therapy". The hook grip combined with quick movements and deep knurling could really tear up hands.

A weightlifting coach once told me that there was an old lumberjack trick for toughening up hands.......urinate on them. Supposedly, the acid in the urine would have some toughening effect on skin. I considered but never tried this "therapy". The hook grip combined with quick movements and deep knurling could really tear up hands.

just like a set of firm renthals!! I used to use Sugrical Spirts before world rounds and at the begining of the year. Not used them for a long time but have been and got another bottle ready for next Oct. Think i've heard the same story before but the coach told me it had to be someone elses urine. Think i'll stick with the surgical spirits :D

Used to be a bit of a survival trick, pee in a bag and bathe the feet to get rid of blisters. Dunno what the theory behind it was. Never tried it, tinc benz (spell?) used to do the trick though. Is it still around or is it illegal these days :P

Edited by bikespace

"Deep cervical work using a BP cuff or biofeedback device"

I assume this is a relaxation exercise. What type of "BP cuff" is needed? Do you need a continuous readout or just sample every couple of minutes? Would the inexpensive wrist type work?

Think the history of the Scott will live on with me forever, the blisters show no sign of healing with out a week off. Northern Experts hard route this week is probably not going to help either!!!!

Still at least it gives me chance to test out my training programs ;)

You'll not get fit riding sections that are beyond your talents, all you'll get is p****d off & a wrecked bike. Far better to ride stuff that's near the limit of your ability & enjoy yourself.

I will, fitness was never an issue and while i may not have the talent i'd consider myself fit and good enough to get round! Would rather test myself and say i've at least had a go than not bother!!

You're not that fit, Scott blew you out, Six days round Scotland can hurt a bit at times too.

If you'd been up there pushing for an hour you wouldn't have gone past By Pass petrol check as I'd have stopped you because you'd have been way out of time. Did you miss the free petrol that we give you up there? As it's on a track with no other place to go it's very difficult to miss.

How are the hands tried taking the pi$$ to them yet?

If you really must go down the Neanderthal route to toughen your hands how about the martial art preparation.

Get one smooth boulder ( head size) from your local stream,take it home and......... slap it continuously....it only hurts for the first few days!! ;)

Edited by HAM2

If you really must go down the Neanderthal route to toughen your hands how about the martial art preparation.

Get one smooth boulder ( head size) from your local stream,take it home and......... slap it continuously....it only hurts for the first few days!! ;)

I've heard Mrs Baldilocks has hands like leather.

Edited by PERCE