Rear Shock Issues

scoobystu

Found another wee problem with this bike (2004 TXT Pro 300).

I was backing off the pre-load on the rear shock and noticed that the damping/compression adjuster is missing. There is just a hole in which I can see a wee pin sticking down. I am guessing that there should be a screw type adjuster in it to push against the pin. Bit of a long shot but does anyone have a picture of what it should look like?

Also someone recommended that I should set the spring length to 146mm. It would appear that the spring is only 145mm in length. I called Gas gas Technical help and the dude reckonned that is should be set to 140mm. That would mean a pre-load of 5mm. Is my spring knackered or is that about right?

Cheers for now

Stu

Hi Stu,

Usually there is an adjusting screw where you mention on this shock. I have seen one of these snap off before but have never tried a repair on one. I imagine they would operate a device to restrict the flow of damping oil, parhaps a needle and cone valve arrangement. If so, then what you can see left over may be something completely different - sure it is not half of the adjusting screw? Does the damping action work?

If the shock is working ok I would leave it alone, at worst replace with a new one.

Same thing for the spring freelength, if it's working fine then no need to worry.

Bye, PeterB.

Yeah, it's a tapered needle arrangement. Adjustment of which results in a rod moving up and down as the needle is moved in and out. The break VERY easily. I know this because I've broken one. If the shock is blown I know of a guy who can repair. However P&P might be excessive.