Scorpa Easy Front Disc

davidbaker

Hello, I am new to this so please forgive any duplication of this topic or any mistakes.

I have a Scorpa Easy 250 (grey & yellow tank) and the front disc floats a little side to side but also back and forth which does not seem right.

I have an exploded diagram of the front wheel assembly which shows the disc, some spacers and the bolts to hold it all together. These are in place and there does not seem to be anything missing.

I have never come across a disc which has this type of movement before, can anyone shed light on it?

The bike is in good repair so I hope it will be okay to get me started in trials, is there anything I should look out for in terms of maintainence issues, oil changes etc

Any advice very welcome.

My Beta does the same. I seem to remember that on bikes where the disc has been static, the caliper has had some play in it. I think its just so the pads can grip effectively.

will wait for someone to confirm this for me!

Tom

The disc floats so that when you hit the brakes they are there, if they didn't the disc would push back the shoes and you would have to pump up the brakes before you could stop.

Side to side I can understand but not backwards & forwards. If I stand still with the front brake on the bike can rock backwards & forwards. The play at the hub is not very much however by the time that movement if transfered along the spokes to the rim it means movement of about an inch.

I've had many road & motorcross bikes over the years and have never seen this before so I can only presume there is a spacer or something missing.

My Beta does the same. I seem to remember that on bikes where the disc has been static, the caliper has had some play in it. I think its just so the pads can grip effectively.

will wait for someone to confirm this for me!

Tom

Is the movement just side to side or backwards & forwards as well?

David

I have the same bike (97 scorpa easy 250 grey/yellow) and have exactly the same problem. When i got the bike about 4 months ago i rang birketts and asked nigel about it. He told me that it is the little eyelets that the disc floats on that are worn and need replacing. He said that i need to take them off and measure them before i order more as there were several different ones used by scorpa.

I haven't actually replaced them and the bike rides fine. I only really notice it when im stopped holding it on the front brake. Must get round to it though.

Hope this helps.

I have the same bike (97 scorpa easy 250 grey/yellow) and have exactly the same problem. When i got the bike about 4 months ago i rang birketts and asked nigel about it. He told me that it is the little eyelets that the disc floats on that are worn and need replacing. He said that i need to take them off and measure them before i order more as there were several different ones used by scorpa.

I haven't actually replaced them and the bike rides fine. I only really notice it when im stopped holding it on the front brake. Must get round to it though.

Hope this helps.

Helps a lot, I have just found Birketts on the internet and Nigel said the same thing however he didn't mention measuring the spacers. I am going to order them tomorrow so I can measure them tonight, good timing that thanks.

How do you find the bike? I've not ridden mine apart from when I had a test ride as I've stripped it down for a bit of a tidy up.

Should be back together in the next couple of weeks.

Helps a lot, I have just found Birketts on the internet and Nigel said the same thing however he didn't mention measuring the spacers. I am going to order them tomorrow so I can measure them tonight, good timing that thanks.

How do you find the bike? I've not ridden mine apart from when I had a test ride as I've stripped it down for a bit of a tidy up.

Should be back together in the next couple of weeks.

No probs. Nigel is FULL of excellent info (and also appears in the 1983 kickstart video that someone posted on here recently).

I would love to tell you all about how the 97 scorpa is the best trials bike ive ever ridden but to be honest ive only ridden that one and an old ty175 when i was young so i dont have much base for comparison. I think its a great bike. not as light as some of the others from the same year but fairly bulletproof so ive heard.

I would be very interested to know if your bike has a bp5es or bp6es plug fitted (or other) and also what jets its fitted with.

I can send you the pdf manuals if you give me your email.

Cheers.

No probs. Nigel is FULL of excellent info (and also appears in the 1983 kickstart video that someone posted on here recently).

I would love to tell you all about how the 97 scorpa is the best trials bike ive ever ridden but to be honest ive only ridden that one and an old ty175 when i was young so i dont have much base for comparison. I think its a great bike. not as light as some of the others from the same year but fairly bulletproof so ive heard.

I would be very interested to know if your bike has a bp5es or bp6es plug fitted (or other) and also what jets its fitted with.

I can send you the pdf manuals if you give me your email.

Cheers.

That would be good, i've got some pdf's from a website and I think they are on this forum somewhere, they are exploded diagrams. Is this what you've got?

I will check the plug and jets and let you know.

I've got a TY175 and an Ossa 250 (never used in competition) so I hope the Scorpa will be a little easier to throw about as I am going to start club trials, I'm especially looking forward to the hydrolic clutch.......its got to be heaven compared to arm pump after half an hour of riding the Ossa.

That would be good, i've got some pdf's from a website and I think they are on this forum somewhere, they are exploded diagrams. Is this what you've got?

I will check the plug and jets and let you know.

I've got a TY175 and an Ossa 250 (never used in competition) so I hope the Scorpa will be a little easier to throw about as I am going to start club trials, I'm especially looking forward to the hydrolic clutch.......its got to be heaven compared to arm pump after half an hour of riding the Ossa.

There are some exploded diagrams but there is also some other stuff including a carb spec sheet which i have found very useful. PM me your email and i'll send them. the hydro clutch is very light on mine. I use 1 finger!!

The only thing i cant seem to find out is the float height.

There are some exploded diagrams but there is also some other stuff including a carb spec sheet which i have found very useful. PM me your email and i'll send them. the hydro clutch is very light on mine. I use 1 finger!!

The only thing i cant seem to find out is the float height.

I've sent you message with my email address so thanks in advance for the info.

I ordered the spacers, Nigel did not want dimensions as he said they are standard issue and he had them in stock. I will let you know if they solve the problem before you buy some.

I've sent you message with my email address so thanks in advance for the info.

I ordered the spacers, Nigel did not want dimensions as he said they are standard issue and he had them in stock. I will let you know if they solve the problem before you buy some.

Email on its way to you.

Thanks.