Txt50 Problems

stonemonkey

Just got my lad a txt50 2001 model for xmas,having a few problems.When I got it home the air box was full of fuel hence wouldn,t start.Sorted all that new plug,cleaned carb n filter.

Still wouldn,t start .First I thought the crank had filled up with fuel so took the spark plug out and tipped the bike upside.Loads of oily stuff came flooding out of the exhaust and spark plug hole more oily than gooy.Put spark plug back in, few kicks started.Only problems I have now is trying to get it to tick over properly loads of oil still coming out of exhaust enuff to speckle my garage floor any ideas.

i too have bought my lad a boy 50 for xmas,the bloke i bought it off told me the best way to start them is to put the fuel on,no choke and give it half throttle and kick or use choke but no throttle at all,i was also told to turn off the fuel supply whilst engine is still running in order to use up the fuel in the carb bowl because apparently the float in these things arent the best and can flood the bike and make it a pig to start,ive started it up and ran it using this method a few times and have had no problems at all.as for oily stuff in the exhaust it could be it needs a good clean through as maybe the previous owner put too much oil in the fuel.if it idles when in netral but not when a gear is selected its most likely to be the cluch dragging,hope any of this helps

When I read this thread originally, I thought mine doesn't do that...

But guess what? Mine does to!

Only noticed it as it splattered oil into rainbow patterns acorss the wet drive.

If anything I would image that there's a little too much oil in the mix.

Will use up this tank and try a leaner mix... and post the results.

Cheers - Matt.

Hi,cheers for replys.I,ve took the carb off n cleaned it done all the usual stuff,come to the conclusion its the gearbox oil seals sucking gear oil into the crank then blowing it out off the exhaust.I,m pretty new to 2 strokes so i could be wrong.

Question do I need to split the cases to replace these or can you get to them to them without removing the engine.

Any help or advice appreciated

Merry Christmas,

You don't need to split the cases to get at the RHS crankshaft seal. You can very carefully prise out the seal with a screwdriver, ruining the old seal in the process, take care not to score the housing. It is fairly uunusual for the oil side seal to go. I've not worked on the 50 before so can only go by the parts breakdown. Looks like there is an O ring fitted after the oil seal, fit the new seal with the spring side of the seal facing into the crank case and then the O ring.

Seal P/N MIT50012008.

Good luck, PeterB.

Merry Christmas

cheers for replys,i,ll get the seal and o ring and see if that sorts the problem.I can,t see it being anything else.When the bikes running its throwing out white smoke, idle screw all the way in just 2 get it to tick over,spark plug black and sooty,pilot jet on 2nd clip from top air screw 2 turns out and i,m mixing 75ml oil to 5 litres petrol.

Going to take it out tommorow and see what its like then.I,ll post back.

Hi Stu,

White smoke would be from water getting into the motor, likely through the head seals. Check if the head bolts are tightened down, sorry but I don't have any torque figures. The four bolts tighten down the head and barrel. Check this first before going into the crank seal, it would be unusual for the clutch side seal to go.

If the crankcase seal was worn, then the motor would draw in gearbox oil which would have a definate smell and burn blue (very blue, like you were running with the choke on all the time). I have a parts list for this bike.

Ta ta, PeterB.