Rev3 Clutch "chafing" Or Partial Engagement

neta160

Hi,

I am new to Betas but not trials. My new 2007 270 Rev3 has about 50 hours on it and I use Elf 10w40 oil. I have bled the clutch a few times. The clutch works fine in all situations except one. If I put the bike in gear, pull in the clutch lever and rev the engine way up I can feel the clutch chafing momentarily. It is almost like the lever is partially and momentarilty being let out and it. It causes the bike to shake a bit and creep forward. If I try to do a stationary zap or stationary splatter requiring half-to-full throttle in second gear, it can be a problem because I am distracted with the bike wanting to go forward. A few times the bike as gone over the kicker.

Are there any adjustments I can make? I just purchased some Motorex 10w30 oil to see if a different brand will make a difference.

Thoughts?

Tim

My clutch has significantly improved, but not 100%, with the two changes made below.

1) Removed the fiber plates and filed the sides of the tabs where they rub against the basket fingers and removed excess fiber clue

2) Turned the allen bolt (that pushes the master cylinder piston in) about 2 turns. There is about 1 turn left on the end of the bolt after the nut. However, if I turn it in once more, the piston bottoms out leaving about 1/4 inch between the grip and the lever. I didn't think adjusting it that far was a good thing.

I checked with vertical edge of each finger on the clutch basket. Most were smooth to my finger. However, two were bumpy and one was really bumpy. I plan to ride it a bit more and check some other Betas in the area to see if their clutch chafs at full throttle. Next step might be to file the edges of the fingers.

Tim