125 Pro Top End On 280 Pro Lower?

mcman56

I don't know the answer to your question, but I did have a quick ride on a true 200cc Gas Gas a few years ago that had been made by RCM Trial Sport of Cornwall, England. It was a while ago, and it may have been the old pre-Pro motor, but it was a super sweet little bike. Robin at RCM would tell you more I'm sure if you called him on 01209 820896.

Would be an interesting project to do, it is physically possible but would need someone with a lot of 2 stroke port timing understanding and a bit of experimentation to match up the 125 cylinder to a 280 bottom end.

The 125 motor uses a 54.5mm stroke, the 250/280/300 use a 60mm stroke. Even with fitting a base spacer to the 125 cylinder to end up with the correct piston height at TDC, (assuming the gudgeon pin is the same diameter for both capacities) then the port timing at BDC is going to be approx 4.5mm lower than a standard 125 motor. which I would imagine would have some effect on the transfer port timing. Still, if you have the bits, and the pin diameter is the same, it's worth a try.

Bye, PeterB.

I have a friend with a couple of 280s. He would like something easier to start and does not need the power of the 280. It sounds like quite a few people converted 125s to a bigger bore so I figured that there should be some used 125 top ends for sale. If the 280 rod uses a bigger wrist (gudgen?) pin, it could likely be spaced down with a collar. That would even help the ballance. Machining and spacers could likely get a good mechanical fit but the port timing would be in question. I have some basic expereince with that but would have to get parts to measure the existing timing and calculate what the longer stroke would do.