280 Pro Kickstart Ratchet

joandemma

Anyone else had trouble with these breaking, my mate has 2005 model and is on his third one. He is having to wait for another as apparently there are none in this country! He is sure he is fitting them correctly.

Edited by joandemma

Anyone else had trouble with these breaking, my mate has 2005 model and is on his third one. He is having to wait for another as apparently there are none in this country! He is sure he is fitting them correctly.

I haven't seen them do this much on this side of the pond, but I bet if he took up the slack in the lever (locked the racheting mechanism)before kicking on the lever, it probably wouldn't happen again. Trials bikes get stopped and started more than any other motorcycle and the racheting mechanisms, especially the lightweight one in the Pro, can take a beating.

Jon

I think what your talking about is the kickstarter idler gear, I'm also on my third idler gear(05 280), the first two didn't seem to engage well with the kick start gear and would get a tooth knocked off when it bound up. The third gear I got from Lewisport USA, and it was clearly different, it had a black coating and probably a different gear angle because I've not had a problem in 6 months. When you put in the new gear look in every nook and cranny in the primary area, pieces of old gear may remain, check the magnet on the drain plug too. Mark.

might be an 05 problem as both of the 05 bikes I had broke the last tooth off the kickstart gear, a 250 and a 280. A friend of mines 05 280 had the same problem. None of my 06 Gas Gas bikes had a problem with the kick start gear but plenty of other things went wrong !

bought a sherco , similar to ride to a gas gas but its lasted a lot better

I've never had trouble with the kickstart gear before until it broke on my 07 the other week. It just snapped clean off. Nothing wrong with the teeth, it snapped between the teeth and the shaft! Nightmare to get back on but works perfect now. No trouble in gettin the part either, my dealer had one in cos a few other people have had the same problem with their 07 bikes.

I've never had trouble with the kickstart gear before until it broke on my 07 the other week. It just snapped clean off. Nothing wrong with the teeth, it snapped between the teeth and the shaft! Nightmare to get back on but works perfect now. No trouble in gettin the part either, my dealer had one in cos a few other people have had the same problem with their 07 bikes.

same here !!!