How Much To Have A Frame Chromed Or Anodised.

honda_tlr

I agree with woody, a painted frame would be far more practical. I had a quote from a friendly electroplater who advised the cost for plating a frame would be in the order of NZ$600, approx 250 pounds. I saw some of the workmanship from the platers, it wasn't that bril. Lots of rough areas were plated without being polished. It would be best if you were going ahead with chroming, to first strip off the paint then polish up the frame parts yourself before going to an electroplaters.

Bye, PeterB.

I agree with woody, a painted frame would be far more practical. I had a quote from a friendly electroplater who advised the cost for plating a frame would be in the order of NZ$600, approx 250 pounds. I saw some of the workmanship from the platers, it wasn't that bril. Lots of rough areas were plated without being polished. It would be best if you were going ahead with chroming, to first strip off the paint then polish up the frame parts yourself before going to an electroplaters.

Bye, PeterB.

Thanks for that guys , I could do ALL the prep work myself, I have polishing mops , and polishing compounds here.

So you think I would be able to get the frame chromed for around the

Hi

As mentioned prep is everything when plating a frame. I recently tried re-plating a Sammy Miller Bultaco frame which had had a hard life in nickel. To have this done properly by a firm taking your request seriousy I would suggest you will not get any change out of

I am fairly certain that nickel is plated first prior to chroming, so I would say that the nickel only plating would be less costly than chrome plating. The nickel can be finished dull like the older British bike parts or bright like the Rickman frames. Nickel electroplates rather efficiently and is usually applied thickly to cover surface irregularities. The chromium is applied in only a few microns, certainly less than 1 thou. It was thought that copper was always used in the old days when chrome plating but this is not quite correct, only in some applications was copper used when trying to hide badly prepped surfaces or hard to get to surfaces but the copper has an adverse effect with steel when combined with moisture (electrolysis). Make sure the plating company is used for industrial work and not just for indoor decorative type applications where the chrome plating is extremely skimpy. You'll need to talk to your plater to get a fix on pricing and finish.

Bye, PeterB.

Hi Guy's

Hi Honda TLR.

Yes the Beamish frames were chrome plated, and did not break to often as they were bronze welded by Mick Whitlock, I have one at the moment that could do with re chroming as I have repaired and fitted new brackets for a different make of engine.

The problem with re-chroming apart from as stated before, the amount of polishing that needs to be done on the metal before the process can be done ,is that the old chrome need's to be taken off with the same procedure as putting the stuff on, only in reverse. This all adds up to a charge that is unaceptable for such a item. Any bit of the frame that is not 100 per cent cleaned and polished to a high degree, will show up like a sore thumb, and rust within a short time. I think the answer for you is to have the frame sand blasted and then powder coated metalic silver.

Me i still have to have the chrome plating removed first. Hope this helps a bit.

Regards Charlie.

Hi Guys.

Hi Woody.

My frame was going to be a back door job, but I found out the Guy was the owner of the company. and he still didn't come up with his promise of doing the work, its now twelve months later. So thats why Ia'm still stuck with the frame sat on the linisher waiting for him to pick it up. Friends? Pheww.

Regards Charlie.

How much do you think it would cost to have it chromed (including the swingarm) ?

Hi

You will find to have it nickel plated far cheaper than chrome,

also due to the frame size more companys can nickel it and not so many can chrome that size.

Nickel needs to be kept polished to look good.

also if you are going to plate it do not use a shot blaster first,you will have to polish it all after, so paint stripper will leave less to polish,

preperation before is the secret to a good finish on chrome or nickel,

also remember the acid used to clean the metal will get inside a TLR frame,so make sure the drain holes are clear to let it come out.

Remember the welding on a Honda frame is not like a Beamish or Rickman,so it will leak,the plating company will wash it out in a big tank after.

You should be able to get it nickel plated for