Fork Oil Txt280

mickkane

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL. Just replacing my fork seals on a 2000 txt280 the forks are the ones you screw out the top flange to get at the fork seals, how much fork oil to put back in?? i am using 5wt.

Also the forks was quite stiff when compresing down any thing to look for when apart? just bought the bike and it needs a few jobs doing to it ie clutch drag and front brakes spongy any help would be must appreciated. THANKS

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL. Just replacing my fork seals on a 2000 txt280 the forks are the ones you screw out the top flange to get at the fork seals, how much fork oil to put back in?? i am using 5wt.

Also the forks was quite stiff when compresing down any thing to look for when apart? just bought the bike and it needs a few jobs doing to it ie clutch drag and front brakes spongy any help would be must appreciated. THANKS

You can use from 280-300cc's of 5 weight in each side. I've found they work fairly well with the rebound fully in and compression fully out, but it's a personal thing and can be dependent on who serviced them last. They may have messed up the adjustment needle by putting the top cap on too tight to the damping rod that goes down into the cartridge, which will sometimes cause a ring depression to form on the needle tip where it contacts the orifice and makes the needle essentially useless as a damping adjustment. If I take the cap off the damper rod, in order to re-install it, I'll screw the adjustment screw/knob all the way in, back down the jam nut a little on the rod, screw the top cap on till it lightly bottoms, lightly snug the jam nut up to lock the cap on, back off the adjustment screw/knob all the way, tighten the jam nut against the cap and then set the adjustment to where it should be.

Assuming the tubes are straight and the lower legs haven't taken a big rock hit, fork stiffness is usually binding of the components caused by improper tightening sequence. Start with the upper clamp bolts tight (25Nm or about 18 ft lbs) and all other bolts loose and the brace off. Push on the forks up and down to "center" them and then tighten the lower clamp bolts (25Nm, 18 ft lbs). "Center" the forks again and then tighten the axle clamp (12Nm or about 9 ft lbs). Center again and then put the fender brace on the forks. If the four capscrews don't line up exactly, don't force them in as this will mis-align the tubes. Use a rat tail file to elongate the holes a little to get a proper fit.

Cheers.

Jon