Which Bike For Me?

courtesy flush

I'll be buying a trials bike soon and hoped I might get some good advice here before making my final choice. I'm a seasoned enduro/off-road racer of more than 30 years. I'm 48 years old (yesterday) stand 6'4" and weigh 180 lbs. with no gear. To date, I've been thinking Gas Gas 280 or 321, and will likely settle on a late model, used bike.

First off, is there any particular brand that's any better suited for taller riders? Aside from the obvious condition of a bike, are there any "trials specific" issues to check for when inspecting a used trials bike? Besides dealer support, what other factors should I take into consideration?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Buy the newest machine you can afford. Find a club in your area and TEST RIDE brands. Dealer support is a consideration but not that big a deal. I would steer away from bikes that have more rather than less top end / bottom end noise (trials bikes nominally run about 80:1 pre-mix so look for a quieter machine) - I wouldn't worry too much about clutch rattle.

The fit for a taller rider is subjective; some say the GasGas has a more compact rider area while others are more 'open'. My affiliation is Beta. I have had Montesa as well; both are excellent (heavy) machines - the build quality is very good on both. I personally like the way the Beta turns and 'feels' - plush.

Ride them all - don't short-change yourself. Sherco, GasGas, Scorpa, Montesa, and Beta ALL deserve a little of your time on the same section for a good comparison.

Let us know what you decide.

I agree clarkp....DEFINATELY buy the newest one you can afford...they seem to be getting better every year. I only know Beta...but even the Rev3 seems to keep getting better. I compared an 04 one with MY 02 one the other day...and they 04 one seemed ALOT better. :hyper::D

(Beta) Geoff Aaron is about as short as you (Beta) and he's had success on Gas-Gas and on Beta. I never noticed any (Beta) handlebar risers on his bikes.

I tried to keep (Beta) any subliminal message out of this post, but my recommendation is definitely Beta.

All seriousness aside, you can't go wrong with any of the newer bikes.

Cheers,

Richard