The 500 Euro Cota 348

edholland

After seeing the video,s of Cabrianes and Robregordo i knew i had to have a twinshock. The first picture is how i got it, not very good looking but the engine sounds great and the clutch and gears work.

Started with painting the tank orange (sorry purrists) the mudguards will be painted in orange or i will go for the grey color like on 348mate,s great looking 349. Will try to post the progress here maybe it will help others in the future :thumbup:

Looking for advice on rear shocks i,ve seen some real nice Betor ones are they any good ?

348_3.jpg

tank.jpg

tank2.jpg

Edited by EdHolland

Hello Ed,

I also have a rebuild to do on a 348, 1979 model but I think I'll do the tank in proper red!

The rear hydrabag shocks on mine are well used with split bags, might be able to fix them. I heard the Betors work ok but other shocks can be stronger, and dearer. Could you have a look at the rear hub, there is a steel insert in my one, forming the housing for the sprocket side wheel bearing which looks like it has been engineered after the bike left the factory - or is this standard? I always preferred Bultaco's. Those bars look like 6.5 inch Renthalls, all the rage in the 70's.

Bye, PeterB.

Hi Ed,

thats very nice of you to go to the trouble to photograph the rear hub, thanks. Not quite what I was looking for though, I was trying to find out what the set up was inside the rear hub, on the brake side, to see how that side wheel bearing is housed. Mine has a bad fitting steel sleeve fitted into the aluminium casting, doesn't look original. If you have the time, could you photo the inside of the hub please.

Bye, PeterB.

Peter i understand what you mean now will make the pictures for you ! but first i will do a few oil changes and just ride the bike to see what i need. If you are in a hurry i can take out the rear wheel and make the pictures no problem ofcourse.

Cheers,

Took off the rear mudgaurd and found some problems there. Does anyone have a picture of the white part for me ? the part is warped badly because of the melting from the exhaust.

I can,t find this part anywhere for sale so i think i will have to repair this one.

brand.jpg

Pete, mail me the photo and I'll post it.

BTW there was an aperture for the exhaust to pass through. The heat has made it bigger.

Ed, you can't get those mudguards anymore. The last set went to Jared Bates and he's sold them. The 349 mudguards are a fit but slightly narrower and are white. The 348's are slightly wider and a sort of opaque/pinkish white.

Pete I'm stuffed if I can remember what the bearing carrier on the rear wheel looked like.

The 349 mudguards are a fit but slightly narrower and are white
that would explain the tire marks in the part and mine are white and look to be cut off short. Must be a 349 part cut to use the still available mud guard.
BTW there was an aperture for the exhaust to pass through. The heat has made it bigger.
ahhhh that explains it Tim i can see a shape clearing the exhaust but it,s a bit messy i,m sure Peter,s picture will help.

Thanks Tim !

Cheers,

• 1 month later...

After looking good at my Cota Fiasco 348 :rolleyes: not one part on it is original. It has wheels from a later model the carb is a 22mm Amal the tank from a Rathmell replica it,s a mess. The 22 mm Amal is way too small but I have a good working carb on my 95 Fantic Section is it possible to use that on the Montesa ?

Cheers,