Questions About This James

greeves

Hi: I pretend to race with this bike in the next Scottish Pre-65, last year I burned the ignition where beaking down is a nightmare; Meall Na Cruaidhe, fortunately it has now a good ignition fixed. I have the next the next troubles with it;

1.- Rear mudguard, I can not find an alloy rear mudguard for this bike, they are either short, too wide or too narrow. This one is built out of 2 plastic bultaco mudguards, but would like to put something more original. Maybe Spain is not the place to look for this mudguard.

2.- Is there any webb where to buy sprockets for it?? It is slightly "short" for me.

3.- Something apparently easy, as making the fork soft in the beginning and hard in the end, is becoming a headache. The front mudguard hits the front of the frame sometimes. Ok I weight 90 kilos, but I have tried the combination of SAE 10, 15 and 20 and 2, 3 and 4 cm. compression in the spring with no results. Any tip?? Maybe a long diet is the secret....

Thanks in advance.

Hi Mate counting the days down :)

Best place for sprockets is Talon. You might like to try a 12 tooth gearbox sprocket? works for me anyway.

Alloy mudguards ? Probably sammy miller products.

As for the forks then you need progressive fork springs. Problem is i dont know the internals in your forks so might struggle to recommend a supplier. Running Bultaco pursang in mine and custom turned some preloaders till i got the feel right. As for oil 7.5W works for me.

Looking foward to Scotlland and maybe sharing the start ramp as we are consecutive numbers, i'm odd (some would say very) and youre even, so at least see ya at the start.

Maybe my question about the mudguard is not properly made. The thing is that under the seat, the frame does not allow the mudguard in.

I've seen some rear fenders which had a "pinch" in the middle to clear the frame tubes. You may be able to get an alloy fender and have a metalsmith customize it to fit your frame. Of course without a better picture I can't tell how much interference you have.

Like What OTF Valve spring :)

Vinnie :)

Yeah a valve spring would possably do but i got some springs from a spring manufacturer near to where i work and cut them to length. Then again on my current James the pursang springs work well just bottoming out on steep drop offs. Took a while to get the preloaders and fork oils qty and weight right but seems ok now.

Try it and see what you think. If you have some in the bit box it's worth a go to see if it feels you are moving in the right direction. Down to fine tuning really. Good luck :)

I've seen some rear fenders which had a "pinch" in the middle to clear the frame tubes. You may be able to get an alloy fender and have a metalsmith customize it to fit your frame. Of course without a better picture I can't tell how much interference you have.

This is it. I thought that maybe there where mudguards specially built for this, but I think you are correct; there are not and I will need somebody to customize it and do it fit the frame.

Thank you.

I get my sprockets along with Serco from

J B Gears of

22 Jack Lane

Leeds, West Yorkshire LS11 9NP

United Kingdom

Phone : ‎+44 113 2468425

I can't find a web site or email address but he knows classic hubs well if you speak to him.

Most are made in their gear making machine shop.

I get my sprockets along with Serco from

J B Gears of

22 Jack Lane

Leeds, West Yorkshire LS11 9NP

United Kingdom

Phone : ‎+44 113 2468425

I can't find a web site or email address but he knows classic hubs well if you speak to him.

Most are made in their gear making machine shop.

Thank you Stickinthemud, will phone them.

Hi All

Just a question to satisfy my curiosity.......how come, with all the current debate over pre65 Scottish eligibility, can this bike get an entry with F registration (Aug 67 - Jul 68) ??????

Only interested :mellow:

Martin

It's not the first time a bike has been registered years after it was produced and sold by a dealer!

After all, when you check on heaps of exWD (GB motor) B40 BSA's, they all seem to come from a batch dating from 1967!

Big John