Majesty Engine No's

zarkoff

hi there tony well the frame number is totally different because someone told me it was a john shirt model as i have discused in the other topic

I'm still confused as to where you're getting the info from the T & T site that says the frame number relates to a Majesty. I've looked and can't find anything. What is it you're looking at, where is it? As far as I'm aware there is no info in this respect.

It is definitely a Majesty frame, regardless of what number is on the headstock. The frame is cut around the spark plug, the frame around the rear shock mounts is strengthened for the new shock position, the engine/frame cradle is raised and the exhaust is altered.

The mods that Shirty did aren't DIY mods and it would take someone very skilled to make a TY250 frame look like a Majesty. I really can't see that anyone would want to take on alterations like that or that there are fake Majesties out there, the conversion is a major exercise.

It's a 30 year old bike remember and who knows what has happened to it over the years, previous owners could have done all sorts to it. The kickstart isn't a TY item for example. Mis-matched engine/frame numbers mean nothing in isolation, it could easily have had a replacement engine at some time, mine has different frame/engine numbers. However, you have to consider that the strange engine and frame numbers could mean it was nicked at sometime in its life, as many bikes have been - unfortunate but a possibility. I'm only going from memory here but the engine number looks to be in the wrong place, they are stamped further to the rear aren't they - can't remember without looking at mine.

Another point on engine numbers - bikes built for the Japanese home market had different engine number configuration again. Going from memory again here but I think they only had the prefix, no following number.

Anyway, back to the frame number relating to a Majesty - where are you getting that from?

I'm still confused as to where you're getting the info from the T & T site that says the frame number relates to a Majesty. I've looked and can't find anything. What is it you're looking at, where is it? As far as I'm aware there is no info in this respect.

It is definitely a Majesty frame, regardless of what number is on the headstock. The frame is cut around the spark plug, the frame around the rear shock mounts is strengthened for the new shock position, the engine/frame cradle is raised and the exhaust is altered.

The mods that Shirty did aren't DIY mods and it would take someone very skilled to make a TY250 frame look like a Majesty. I really can't see that anyone would want to take on alterations like that or that there are fake Majesties out there, the conversion is a major exercise.

It's a 30 year old bike remember and who knows what has happened to it over the years, previous owners could have done all sorts to it. The kickstart isn't a TY item for example. Mis-matched engine/frame numbers mean nothing in isolation, it could easily have had a replacement engine at some time, mine has different frame/engine numbers. However, you have to consider that the strange engine and frame numbers could mean it was nicked at sometime in its life, as many bikes have been - unfortunate but a possibility. I'm only going from memory here but the engine number looks to be in the wrong place, they are stamped further to the rear aren't they - can't remember without looking at mine.

Another point on engine numbers - bikes built for the Japanese home market had different engine number configuration again. Going from memory again here but I think they only had the prefix, no following number.

Anyway, back to the frame number relating to a Majesty - where are you getting that from?

hi there woody sorry for the confusion about the t-t site i emailed the guy and got a reply he said it related to a shirt model but was also con fused about the number because it would have made it a 1988 model. any way the frame number is this see what you make of it ty250 0668808 .thanks ZARKOFF

Well, I'm not familiar with TY Mono frame numbers so can't comment about that number relating to a 1988 model but it definitely isn't a TY twinshock frame number. Looks like it's been messed with.

As there are no records of which TYs were converted to Majesties, other than anything Shirty may have had ( I have no idea what he had as I don't know the bloke but GIZZA5 suggests he won't have records) I don't see how anyone can confirm that a bike is a Majesty just from a frame number. However, I wouldn't let all that bother you as the bike is definitely a Majesty and the irregular frame number will only cause you a problem if you ever want to register it.

As Woody and I have already suggested this machine has both frame and engine numbers that do NOT relate to anything on known Yamaha records. Clearly the machine you have have has a modified rear end both in top and bottom shock mount positions, the awful air cleaner mod is non standard and really needs some work! The basic forks/frame/engine set up suggest something circa 77/78, the bash plate is standard for the period and I can see no other alterations other than the non standard rear shocks and the Sammy Miller front mudguard stay fitted the wrong way round!

Having tried them all when you rebuild it fit the SM "back and down pegs" and you should have a WINNER!

See my blog "Building the Glitzmobile"

Tony

Edited by tony283

I can see no other alterations other than the non standard rear shocks and the Sammy Miller front mudguard stay fitted the wrong way round!

It's not obvious from a picture but the whole frame/engine cradle has been lifted as in the Majesty, the frame tubes from the footrests up to the frame are shortened, hence the cut-out in the frame to clear the spark plug. Original Yam framed Majesties used the Yam bashplate.

Definitely a Majesty, just wrong numbers on engine/frame

thanks everybody for your help, the bike as you see it was as i bought it and i know it needs a lot of work probably more than i can do i bought it thinking it was just a ty .( i got it to try and get my son in law into trials) any way i may end up selling it as it does need restoring properly. thanks every body

ZARKOFF